Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Leaving Parking Lights on at Rest Stops?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MapNerd

RVF 1K Club
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
On occasion, we find ourselves needing to make a longer trip, one that requires a day or day and a half of driving. Often, we’ll find a nicer rest stop and pull in there early, usually trying to snag a spot next to a median or area that allows us to put out the FWS without taking any risks. Anyway, I often find myself desiring to leave my parking lights on overnight just forthe added security of knowing that we can be seen, but I’m always scared to for fear of draining the batteries overnight.

Does anyone leave their parking lights on over night when parked at a rest stop?

1) I would not stay at a rest stop unless it's one of those RV equipped ones. Proper planning should prevent this. I don't do this, I don't do Walmart, that's just me
2) I keep four of these (or similar style) in my forward left electrical bay. If you're worried about parking somewhere and someone grazing you, consider putting these out. Probably better than running lights. Amazon.com: TUFFIOM 5Pcs Safety Traffic Cones, 18" Orange Slim Fluorescent Reflective Collars, Road Parking Field Marker Cones for Outdoor Activity & Festive Events Multipurpose: Garden & Outdoor

@MapNerd have you considered harvest host as a layover option? It pays for itself pretty quick. Your kids will like it as some have friendly pets of all kinds.

1) I would not stay at a rest stop unless it's one of those RV equipped ones. Proper planning should prevent this. I don't do this, I don't do Walmart, that's just me
2) I keep four of these (or similar style) in my forward left electrical bay. If you're worried about parking somewhere and someone grazing you, consider putting these out. Probably better than running lights. Amazon.com: TUFFIOM 5Pcs Safety Traffic Cones, 18" Orange Slim Fluorescent Reflective Collars, Road Parking Field Marker Cones for Outdoor Activity & Festive Events Multipurpose: Garden & Outdoor

To each their own. For us, large, well lit rest stops - typically state welcome centers are fine. They often have colorbooks and such for the kids for free as well. We’ve done it several times and never had much of an issue. We always scope them out ahead of time. Many of them have areas separate from trucks that are intended for buses and we definately take up a bus spot if one is open. If we have to park with the trucks, then we try to grab an end spot and we don’t put out the slides then. We don’t do Walmart, but we’ve done Lowes once and that was really completely fine. Having kids, we’re careful about where we choose to stop.

I wouldn’t put out safety cones in the truck area of a rest stop and my concern is less about being grazed and more about my toad being plowed into and sent into my engine, which is then sent into my bedroom. Lights on would be an easy way to make that less likely.

@MapNerd have you considered harvest host as a layover option? It pays for itself pretty quick. Your kids will like it as some have friendly pets of all kinds.
We’ve done Harvest Hosts several times and try to when we can. Sometimes we just want to make a quick stop, eat diner, hit the bed and then get back at it and get to the destination.

I would never take a place where a truck would rest, there was a long discussion on this once upon a time. Moral is we don't want them in our campgrounds, we can't be taking up their places to rest. My $.02.

rest areas are not for rv layovers. Many states have laws that state so and signs that say no overnight parking. Arizona has most of it's rest areas closed to all but trucks, this reflects how the government looks at us taking spaces from truckers that the law limits the number of hours a trucker can be on the road without rest. Truck stops on the other hand are much more friendly to the RV community and many have a few RV parking locations away from the trucks.

rest areas are not for rv layovers. Many states have laws that state so and signs that say no overnight parking. Arizona has most of it's rest areas closed to all but trucks, this reflects how the government looks at us taking spaces from truckers that the law limits the number of hours a trucker can be on the road without rest. Truck stops on the other hand are much more friendly to the RV community and many have a few RV parking locations away from the trucks.
That’s not the question.

I would never take a place where a truck would rest, there was a long discussion on this once upon a time. Moral is we don't want them in our campgrounds, we can't be taking up their places to rest. My $.02.
And I take it that your answer is No - you do not leave your lights on

You are correct. I don't have LED lights on my rig so I worry about leaving them on overnight.

At one time I used rest areas, a very long time ago.

Well, my $.02 is... Rest areas are not just for trucks. They are for autos, RV's and yes trucks. There are some "Truck Only rest areas, but they don't have many amenities and are used for truckers to take their required time off.

A rest area is there to allow a tired traveler to take time from driving and relax for safety reasons. There is no real time limit, but yes some do say no overnight parking, but catching 3/4 hrs sleep is fine if you need that much rest. Now I don't necessarily "stay" at a rest stop, but I do stay as long as I need to be safe. If I am traveling a long distance I often stop at a rest stop for 30 min to an hour to take a break and take a nap. You would be surprised how far you can go being refreshed and relaxed. Many rest stops link in FL have security guards for that added security

Latest resources

Back