Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Leaving Saturday on our Big Trip 2022 to celebrate our 35th!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bpaikman

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3436
RV Length
35 feet
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
.I've been planning this jaunt since last fall - Starting Saturday, we're taking 3 days to drive out of Texas, limiting our speed and driving hours. We head through Houston, Dallas, Amarillo, up through Dalhart, over Raton Pass, descend into Colorado, stop to pay respects at Ludlow Memorial, wave at Huerfano Butte.
First stop in Colorado: Cheyenne Mountain State Park, where Bob enjoys listening to the bugle splaying Reveille in the AM and Taps at PM from Fort Carson, and the beautiful view at night, and Bob's special eatery for lunch. Some cute hikes, too.
After a couple more stops, heading into the mountains for Lake City and later Creede, - staying several weeks to see fall arrive. Jeep trips, hiking, exploring ghost towns, climbing Uncompaghre, and other special eatery or two. Bob is actually a slim guy 😆.
Then to Chama, NM, for a train ride, and Santa Fe for some historical tours, and other stops in NM and TX for personal research.... the last several days of our trip are flexible.
I nailed down a few difficul-to-get reservations earlier in the year, but everything is flexible! SO much work to prepare!
(taking the little 7-pound poodlekin with us - she saves us lots of money eating out. We don't like leaving her in the RV for long. She also makes sure we stop often for 'wee's" and get pleny of exercise!)
)
7355D818-900D-4411-9718-27EA42B8F9EB.jpeg
58197298-0635-452F-B763-83125CDCD49F.jpeg

Congratulations, what a great journey! Keep us updated and enjoy!
Question: Does your poodlekin get scared when Bob sets the Park Brake? My schnauser wants to jump out the window and shakes for an hour afterwards.
Regards

Nuuuu lol... She's high strung and excitable but nothing seems to upset her particularly, which is odd now that I think about it. She jumps up and climbs the steps into the big old rumbling monster - Doesn't seem to scare her. The only odd thing I notice: she's not at all interested in being in the front window and looking out ...ever...she rides in a plastic tote on the floor or in the passenger's lap. I was going to get a nice tote, but she found this old basket and requisitioned it.
1660047419960.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations, what a great journey! Keep us updated and enjoy!
Question: Does your poodlekin get scared when Bob sets the Park Brake? My schnauser wants to jump out the window and shakes for an hour afterwards.
Regards
(I do most of the driving 😆

Congratulations youngsters. :cool: Enjoy.

That’s what the rv is for! You three have a great time!

We have over 50k on our 2017 and are not full timers.

Sounds like a great trip, enjoy! We did Lake City and Salida last summer. Good times.

Latest resources

Back