Let’s say I’m interested in a motorhome

Welcome to RVForums.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
Joined
Dec 27, 2019
Messages
217
Location
Fredericksburg, VA
RV Year
2005
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Kountry Star 3910
RV Length
39
TOW/TOAD
Ford Taurus
The motorhome is located in another state. I would need to either fly or take a multiple day road trip to check it out.

I have a price in mind that I would be comfortable with +/- a few dollars.

Here’s the question: Do I negotiate price with the seller before I make the trip and have the deal contingent on the MH meeting my expectations which would include an inspection by a NRVIA inspector? I think this is the way to do it, but would like to get others’ input/experiences.
 
Joined
Jul 27, 2019
Messages
3,378
Location
Midlothian, VA
RV Year
2017
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Personally, having not done this, I would go see it, negotiate, if agreed then move to contingent upon inspection. No reason to pay an inspector if it's not going to be at a price I'm willing to pay then and there.
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Messages
61
Location
Haslet TX
RV Year
2013
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4318
RV Length
43
TOW/TOAD
2019 F150
Agree, w/ Neal do your due diligence make sure it's the MH you want, then contact the seller and spend enough time getting know them and feel good about them. Explain your situation and that you would like to take several steps in this process. If at anytime you don't feel comfortable walk away, they made more MH's. Once you feel comfortable negotiate a price contingent upon inspection then move forward.
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2019
Messages
49
Will tell you what I did. And it worked out well. Before I went to look at the MH I had the towing stuff installed on my tow car. Bought the tow bar and took it with me. I had to walk away from 3 before price and MH were right. You will also learn more about what you really want in the process .
 

Jim

Joined
Dec 18, 2019
Messages
772
Location
North Carolina
RV Year
2009
RV Make
Tiffin
RV Model
Phaeton QTH
RV Length
40
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock
Here’s the question: Do I negotiate price with the seller before I make the trip and have the deal contingent on the MH meeting my expectations which would include an inspection by a NRVIA inspector? I think this is the way to do it, but would like to get others’ input/experiences.
There is so much to be considered in this scenario. But to begin with, I assume the asking price is somewhere in the area of what you are looking to pay, or that you consider to be fair, or you wouldn't be posting this.

So if it's a fair price and you're willing to pay it, tell him you are interested enough to give him a couple hundred bucks to hold it until you have a chance to get there. If the price is more than you feel it is worth, tell him/her and let them know what you feel is fair, or what you feel you will pay. Unless the seller is just emotionally attached to the rig, he/she knows what it is worth and they will accommodate your offer.

Final price is contingent to a acceptable inspection. Make sure everyone is on the same page and have it in writing. If you're going to do the inspection yourself, then fly out and take a look. If you hire someone, then look the results over and if further negotiation if required then adjust your offer.

I've found most sellers to be reasonable people and they already know what is wrong with the vehicle. And they'll work with you to get to where everyone needs to be. After all, it has to work for both parties or there's not going to be a sale.

Good luck!
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Messages
240
Location
Cypress Inn, TN
RV Year
2011
RV Make
Thor
RV Model
Hurricane
RV Length
32ft
TOW/TOAD
2018 Nissan Rogue
I’ve bought several different ways depending on the market and price. I bought a plane out of state. It was a really good price and there was a lot of interest in it. We made the deal on the phone, put a deposit on it with contingencies that I liked it when I saw it and pass pre buy inspection.
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2019
Messages
217
Location
Fredericksburg, VA
RV Year
2005
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Kountry Star 3910
RV Length
39
TOW/TOAD
Ford Taurus
Thanks guys. Really good input here.

We know what we want, and I know what I’m willing to pay to get it. There’s one coach that meets our criteria but he’s priced about $30K above what I think is a “pull the trigger” price based on what I see similar units priced at and what my insurance company says is FMV. What I don't want to do is go all that way, have the coach check out, and then insult the guy with my offer.

I know there are numerous ways to skin this cat, so thank you all for your valued input. Cheers.
 

Jim

Joined
Dec 18, 2019
Messages
772
Location
North Carolina
RV Year
2009
RV Make
Tiffin
RV Model
Phaeton QTH
RV Length
40
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock
What I don't want to do is go all that way, have the coach check out, and then insult the guy with my offer.
If you're low-balling him to take advantage, then he would probably get irritated. But if you're offering the market price, then it's my guess he's expecting to come down some. Nobody sets the asking price as what they expect to get, the set it so they can come down a bit. Give him the offer and take it from there.
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Messages
61
Location
Haslet TX
RV Year
2013
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4318
RV Length
43
TOW/TOAD
2019 F150
Thanks guys. Really good input here.

We know what we want, and I know what I’m willing to pay to get it. There’s one coach that meets our criteria but he’s priced about $30K above what I think is a “pull the trigger” price based on what I see similar units priced at and what my insurance company says is FMV. What I don't want to do is go all that way, have the coach check out, and then insult the guy with my offer.

I know there are numerous ways to skin this cat, so thank you all for your valued input. Cheers.

Just be straight with him, say exactly what you said here. You're probably not going to upset the guy. Tell him it's OK with you to pass on your offer.


Lots and lots of that particular MH were most likely built that particular year.
 
Joined
May 3, 2020
Messages
101
Location
Deep in the Heart of Texas
RV Year
2014
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3634
RV Length
37
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
We are in Texas and bought from an individual in Florida. After looking at his pix on RV Trader and some email exchanges, we had a few phone conversations, all about his experience with the unit, condition, repairs, maintenance, etc., but did not negotiate a price. Then I arranged for an inspector to look it over and we flew to Florida to meet with the owner and inspector, and get the inspector's input. Based on his opinions, we made the decision that we would buy this one, so the owner and I negotiated and reached an agreement while we were still in Florida. I drove the toad back a couple of weeks later and made the trip back to Texas.
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2019
Messages
2,124
Location
WA, MT or somewhere else!
RV Year
2018
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
Just be straight with him, say exactly what you said here. You're probably not going to upset the guy. Tell him it's OK with you to pass on your offer.
This is a very wise approach! You can gauge by the owner's reaction whether there is any wiggle room in his price. If the owner is firm on the asking price, it would seem to be a waste of time to go any further unless you are willing to increase you're offer. OTOH, if you sense a willingness to consider your offer, arrange for an inspection and plan to make a personal visit to see the coach. Be sure to make all negotiations subject to your final approval after you have seen the coach in person.

Good luck.

TJ
 
Top