• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Lets See Your Fivers!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My 3/4 ton can tow a lot more than what that government stickers says, after all it has the same transmission and engine as it's bigger brother the 1 ton. I won't go over the sticker on the door if I can help it. When I hooked up my 5th wheel for the first time to the truck it, hardly squat at all with no help from the air bags. I bought and installed air bags and have found out I really didn't need them. I find putting 15 lbs. of air in them does help smooth the ride a little. The thing that helped my truck the most was a bigger Hellwig sway bar. Makes a huge difference in curves and wind. If you want better control of side to side movement then go for a big sway bar. It can make a huge difference. If I keep posting to this thread I'm going to have to post a image or two of ours. The posting police will get me if I don't

Kevin
Your right about that. I'll add this though.
Trucking companies have moved towards super singles for the main reason of cost. Why pay $150 each for two tires, when you can buy one tire (Super Single) for $180 and have one less wheel and tire to deal with? I'm not a Euo fan , but I do know for fact they have been using super single tires over there for almost 35 years now. 12 years living in Germany and I traveled the auto bans daily for about 5 of those years. I never saw a truck on the side of the road due to a flat in all that time. Of course the TUV inspections being as tough as they are helps too.
OPS back to topic at hand. Show them 5th wheel images folks. (y)
OK @Rolling Chaos most people that stay in business don't look at immediate savings. Instead they look at life of investment costs. The big cost on the road is labor while filling the tank and how many miles they get per tank. It is really about the fuel not the tire cost.

The posting police will get me if I don't
I might as well be it. We care about road safety no question. We don't much tell people how to think or what to do. From that perspective you are safe. We do contradict posts that we personally feel mislead people asking serious questions. Most want to be safe on the road, or they wouldn't ask. Truck capability was reduced to advertised capacity sometime in the sixties when Toyota and Datsun entered the US market stating capacities rather than covering the 80% rule as the US auto makers did till then. The move was to help people compare lemons to Lemons because the marketing move was unfair advertising.

To state another way US manufacturers over built their trucks to offer their customers an honest weight capacity. It was only after they had to compete with less than honest competitors that marketing changed.

The most important factor isn't if your truck can pull the trailer, it's how safely it can stop the trailer. The stopping part is what makes us not a threat to innocent bystanders.

Obviously that goes without saying but I felt the need to put that out there. Probably all the craptastic road conditions in my area.

The most important factor isn't if your truck can pull the trailer, it's how safely it can stop the trailer. The stopping part is what makes us not a threat to innocent bystanders.

Obviously that goes without saying but I felt the need to put that out there. Probably all the craptastic road conditions in my area.
That is the best part of a diesel. The exhaust brake can't be beat for helping slow and stop the trailer in tow. They are great on hills for sure.

That is the best part of a diesel. The exhaust brake can't be beat for helping slow and stop the trailer in tow. They are great on hills for sure.
Man, you got that right! This truck is my first one with an exhaust brake. Makes coming down mountains easy!! Almost as good as the semis I drove with a true Jake!

OK I have now posted to much with out any image of our unit so here ya go. Sitting in it's home site here at the house. I'm working on a power and sewer tank next.
truck and 5er in home site.png
5er and truck in home site.png

Latest resources

Back