Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

tonyndawn

RVF Regular
We just purchased a 2002 Kountry Star and we lowered the jacks. Well now the drivers side front and back will not go back up, the hydraulic part releases but the spring part will not retract at all? Passenger sides work great. Anyone have suggestions what we need to do?

Are they HWH jacks?

I would guess that you have the older straight springs on the system. The new springs have a taper in the last few inches on each end.
First I would try spraying the jack shafts with wd40 and make sure you spray up into the area that the ram goes up into the jack housing, and then wipe the rams down to make sure they are clean. I also use an old tooth brush and work the WD up into the seal at the top of the ram. Then I try the store function. On mine it works 75% of the time on the lazy ones(s). I also use shovel to help the jacks up, sometimes with a board under the shovel. I usually at least one lazy jack.
The big deal is not to let the "store" function run too long - a normal system store will take 3 mins. The solenoids are activated (current running through the coils) during the store function, so they can get hot. If you leave them on too long repeatedly, the coils will burn through, opening the coil circuit. I shut off the system if my jacks don't store in 3-4 minutes. I wait a while and the press store again and I work the jacks up with the shovel.
If that doesn't work I would suspect the solenoids aren't opening. You can trouble shoot them by moving the wires (after you take a pic) from one that does work to one that doesn't.

I would guess that you have the older straight springs on the system. The new springs have a taper in the last few inches on each end.
First I would try spraying the jack shafts with wd40 and make sure you spray up into the area that the ram goes up into the jack housing, and then wipe the rams down to make sure they are clean. I also use an old tooth brush and work the WD up into the seal at the top of the ram. Then I try the store function. On mine it works 75% of the time on the lazy ones(s). I also use shovel to help the jacks up, sometimes with a board under the shovel. I usually at least one lazy jack.
The big deal is not to let the "store" function run too long - a normal system store will take 3 mins. The solenoids are activated (current running through the coils) during the store function, so they can get hot. If you leave them on too long repeatedly, the coils will burn through, opening the coil circuit. I shut off the system if my jacks don't store in 3-4 minutes. I wait a while and the press store again and I work the jacks up with the shovel.
If that doesn't work I would suspect the solenoids aren't opening. You can trouble shoot them by moving the wires (after you take a pic) from one that does work to one that doesn't.
Thank you for the information. I passed it on to my husband so he could see if that works. Again thank you.

The recommended clean/lubricate method for HWH jacks is WD-40. Spray down jack till very wet. Than take a good quality cotton rag or blue paper towel, and wipe down the jack until the shiny surface is as clean as possible. It may take multiple times to get it clean. If still won't go up, you can manually release the pressure by finding the correct valve-solenoid device and opening up it's valve. The spring should have enough left in it to raise the jack. Cleaning the jacks should be a monthly maintenance item. If camping long term, I did it the day before I was leaving the campsite. It must be shiny and clean to work correctly. The blue shop paper towels are excellent for this job.

The rams should always be shiny and clean. Any dirt, grime, or residue on the ram can damage the cylinder seal when the ram moves up and down. Cleaning on a regular basis is a must. I prefer LPS as a cleaner/lubricant as opposed to WD-40.

Latest resources

Back