RV Length
37’
Chassis
Ford
Engine
V10
TOW/TOAD
None
Does anyone know if load balancing occurs while on generator power? 2020 BayStar.

I was excercising the generator using two 1500 watt heaters and tripped a 20 amp breaker in the bathroom. Doesn't the generator provide 50 amps? It had both AC1 and AC2 lit in control panel. I thought when the load got too high on one line it switched something to the other.

Normal 50 amp power is actually 50 amps on each of two legs. Assuming you have the 5.5 KW generator in your BS - correct? you get a total of about 45 amps. Not sure how they have it divided. The 1500 watt heater draws around 12.5 amps, so if both were on the same circuit that well exceeds the 20 amp breaker. The control panel will do a certain amount of load shedding, but does not have the capability of load shifting from one leg to another.

It would be quite a system to automatically balance loads. Only thing I can think of that does anything like that is a load limiting system for renewable energy.

@AbdRahim In my 2015 Ventana there is an Energy Management System (EMS) manufactured by Precision Control Systems. I'm not sure how the 2020 Baystar is equipped but perhaps is similar. In my case the EMS will load shed (note not load balance) based on a preprogramed priority. It does monitor both input legs on generator and park power. If the leg that the inverter is connected to needs more current it will engage the inverter to assist, if the inverter is able to assist it will, otherwise the EMS will shed loads. If the leg that needs additional current is on the non inverter side it just sheds loads. The EMS cannot help if the load exceeds the circuit breaker rating for a particular circuit.

Thanks, Someday Came. I was confused, because I tried to map the outlets, but they did not always show up on the same line. Then I saw the fuses in the bathroom that would indicate a linit. So perhaps I can map the limitations, by tuerniing off each bresker to see specifically which outlet it controls. They are labeled living room, bedroom etc. (20 and 10 side by side, for each, I think). I will try one heater in the bedroom and one in the living room. they are 1500 watts which is ~ 12.5 - 13 A. They should be ok.

@AbdRahim In my 2015 Ventana there is an Energy Management System (EMS) manufactured by Precision Control Systems. I'm not sure how the 2020 Baystar is equipped but perhaps is similar. In my case the EMS will load shed (note not load balance) based on a preprogramed priority. It does monitor both input legs on generator and park power. If the leg that the inverter is connected to needs more current it will engage the inverter to assist, if the inverter is able to assist it will, otherwise the EMS will shed loads. If the leg that needs additional current is on the non inverter side it just sheds loads. The EMS cannot help if the load exceeds the circuit breaker rating for a particular circuit.
Great explanation, exactly the same on my 2017 DS

It is my understanding that these Onan Generators are fused for either 20 or 30 amps. The technical limit is 45 amps or so. The 7KW Onan in my RV is fused at 30 amps. It does not supply anything near a Campground 50 amp pedestal power. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Pedestal power is two legs of 120V 50 amps each.

Here are the specs for your generator. https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/manuals/RVQG5500_Spec.pdf

um! Joe, am I confusing you with someone else or did you get younger?:coffee:

Anyhow, yes I thought with the 2 -30 A lines it would automatically switch the load to the other line when needed. Perhaps only on shore power or they never both kicked in on high at the campground. More complicated than I originally thought. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back