Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
In another thread someone mentioned using the deadbolt on their door during travel. My question is how many people do this and why? This is just a general question.

I personally don’t use a deadbolt while traveling. The reasons are: 1. In case of an emergency, emergency crews would have easy entry into the motor home. 2. If we needed to get out quick we would not have to fumble with several latch’s to get out.

what are your thoughts?

It was me. We had instances where the door popped up (not all the way) and was causing annoying wind noise at high speeds.
So, by engaging the dead bolt, was making sure it stays fully closed. Also no one can walk up to the coach in city traffic and pull the door open.
I lock the toad doors too while towing for the same reason.
But it is up to every owner to decide how to run his coach. I'm sure some will disagree with me and hurt my feelings ?

On a previous older coach we would always use the deadbolt for the same reason as @Buly. With the PTL door with the double latch we only use the auto lock that occurs when in drive

It was me. We had instances where the door popped up (not all the way) and was causing annoying wind noise at high speeds.
So, by engaging the dead bolt, was making sure it stays fully closed. Also no one can walk up to the coach in city traffic and pull the door open.
I lock the toad doors too while towing for the same reason.
But it is up to every owner to decide how to run his coach. I'm sure some will disagree with me and hurt my feelings ?
OK @Buly I guess I will hurt your feelings:) what do I need to do to lock the door, let alone use the deadbolt.

Kevin, the Newmar has a two step latch like a car door, plus a separate dead bolt. I have no idea what kind of a larch there is on your RV?

FWIW, we are travelling in a Class A RV and always lock the door with deadbolt when traveling as well as verify all basement doors are secure and locked. The house portion of most RVs, Class A and C, are made as light as possible, are flexible by design to avoid cracking during travel and consequently flex (alot) during travel. Simple 'push to close' latches can easily come open during the flexing of the house during travel.
I have seen and experienced latches opening during travel.

FWIW, we are travelling in a Class A RV and always lock the door with deadbolt when traveling as well as verify all basement doors are secure and locked. The house portion of most RVs, Class A and C, are made as light as possible, are flexible by design to avoid cracking during travel and consequently flex (alot) during travel. Simple 'push to close' latches can easily come open during the flexing of the house during travel.
I have seen and experienced latches opening during travel.
Did a post on the build out of my 95 Winny. I mentioned the flex problem that needed attention if you were going to modify anything or take the chance you would have problems in the future.

I always lock all locks at all times, even in my driveway. No sense in taking chance. The only time I left it unlocked for a short time was when I thought I might have to call an ambulance. Fortunately, I did not and subsequently re-locked the door. The world is too dangerous a place these days. I even lock the deadbolt while gassing up.

I always lock all locks at all times, even in my driveway. No sense in taking chance. The only time I left it unlocked for a short time was when I thought I might have to call an ambulance. Fortunately, I did not and subsequently re-locked the door. The world is too dangerous a place these days. I even lock the deadbolt while gassing up.
Wow. I am just not attached to things.

Experienced a break in when I was 17, with my little sister in the house. Every dollar I earned was too painful to let someone walk away with it. In my mind locks are there to dissuade all but the most determined, so if I don’t use them and suffer loss, it is my own fault. I do admire your loose grip, though Kevin.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back