Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Smk52

RVF Regular
Anyone using the Blue Ox Patriot 3? Looks like E-trailer has a good price on it right now. Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

We use the NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar with their built-in braking system on both our Wrangler and Gladiator.

When we had our toad setup we went with the stay and play duo braking system.

Installed under the hood and just flip a switch to turn in or off. Adjustable for the amount of surge before braking as well.

Have had it installed for about five years now and has performed flawlessly.

The Stay-in-Play system is great. However, if your RV is a diesel and new enough that it needs DEF, then the Stay-in-Play is not really suitable.
Feds started requiring diesel rigs to have the brakes lights come on whenever the exhaust brake, or engine brake, is applied. Unfortunately, that signals the Stay-in-Play to activate. However, the Stay-in-Play also requires a certain amount of braking force to activate.
Since I already had the Stay-in-Play, I've set it so that we have to be braking heavily.

I'm running a brake buddy stealth, simpler installation IMO and disconnecting the cable and connecting the dummy plug disables the system.. no need to reach for (or remember) to flip a switch.

I think they all have pros/cons... I'd recommend reading the instructions for each before deciding, it's the best way to know the tradeoffs involved.

Latest resources

Back