Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
With a 40' Class A on a F53 chassis, gasoline powered V10, towing a sedan on a Dolly, fuel stops can get "interesting" fairly quickly. Most if not all stops are planned well in advance but sometimes life gets in the way.
To that end whenever I travel, especially by car. I try to scope out potential RV friendly fuel stops for gasoline. Your typical Flying J, Pilot, and Loves have just enough room most of the time. However I have been disappointed more times than i care to count. Old stations or very tight real estate requirements can be a problem for gasoline lanes.
Another consideration is time of day and weekend/holiday travelers.

Consequently we plan using Google maps, Satellite images, street views, and comments of others. A tip, look for the date on the images you look up. Old images can be useless...

Traveling the other day through Daytona, I stopped at a Buc-ees for the first time. Looks to be a good stop on a slow day. Lots of room.

IMG_5843.jpgIMG_5851.jpg

BTW using a RV with a wheelchairs lift, I need Passenger side room to disembark, lots of clear space. Just another consideration. I look for end pump lanes with good departure angles to the exit.

IMG_3979(Edited).jpg

If interested I have detailed some of the research steps and mistakes....

Last edited:
Buc-ees was the first thought I had when I saw your thread title.

The down side of the MH.

With a 40' Class A on a F53 chassis, gasoline powered V10, towing a sedan on a Dolly, fuel stops can get "interesting" fairly quickly. Most if not all stops are planned well in advance but sometimes life gets in the way.
To that end whenever I travel, especially by car. I try to scope out potential RV friendly fuel stops for gasoline. Your typical Flying J, Pilot, and Loves have just enough room most of the time. However I have been disappointed more times than i care to count. Old stations or very tight real estate requirements can be a problem for gasoline lanes.
Another consideration is time of day and weekend/holiday travelers.

Consequently we plan using Google maps, Satellite images, street views, and comments of others. A tip, look for the date on the images you look up. Old images can be useless...

Traveling the other day through Daytona, I stopped at a Buc-ees for the first time. Looks to be a good stop on a slow day. Lots of room.

View attachment 5951View attachment 5952

BTW using a RV with a wheelchairs lift, I need Passenger side room to disembark, lots of clear space. Just another consideration. I look for end pump lanes with good departure angles to the exit.

View attachment 5953

If interested I have detailed some of the research steps and mistakes....

Wow. Fantastic instructional resource, Joe. This should be placed in the resources section or somewhere for easy reference.

What is the camera you are using. I need to get something better than the $100 dash cam.

Great instructional video. Would have loved to see something like this before I learned things the fun way in the school of hard knocks.

I bet the lift makes fuel stop a lot harder than it would be without it. :oops:

I bet the lift makes fuel stop a lot harder than it would be without it. :oops:
When traveling alone I have to plan very carefully. As with everything it takes extra planning and time to be successful. Also, I have to be careful because people do not expect the lift to be there and consequently drive uncomfortably close to me and the lift when I am transitioning in and out. When fueling I stow the lift.
But I do put out a Blue cone or two just to let people know I am around and keep them off the side of the RV lift area. :)

IMG_4566 (002).jpg

Last edited:
Another thing I noticed as I watched your video. Your RV seems to have a "set forward" front axle while mine has a "set back" front axle. The difference is that I don't have to pull so far forward for the rear axle pivot point to be in the right place before I can make a turn. A set back front axle gives you a MUCH tighter turning radius. Although a longer wheel base (like yours) generally give a better ride. I used to sell class 7 and 8 tractor trailers and trucks. They had set back and set forward front axles as well. On a dump truck for instance you wouldn't want to use a set back axle even though it would turn better because the front axle would carry too much of the weight. On a road tractor you would use a set forward axle because it would ride better. On a city tractor day cab you might use a set back front axle for a better turning radius in town. Since your Newmar has a gas engine, they use a set forward front axle to carry the weight of the front engine better. On a diesel pusher with the engine in the rear, the front axle can be set back for better manuverability because the rear engine is actually unloading weight off the front axle.

EZ,

I'm always learning. The great thing about the internet. Never thought much about front axle placement, Front vs Back. Very interesting point.
Did a short Search on the topic and learned a bunch about the different axle placement, Front Vs Back by vocation.

Thank you for noticing that difference.

joe

What is the camera you are using, Joe?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back