Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

WeBtraveling

RVF Newbee
I’m a newbie and so excited to join this forum. My husband has a Class A 2003 (before he met me ), and we are thinking of selling it and getting either a 5th wheel or a Travel Trailer. I am just curious which is “better”? I don’t feel comfortable driving his older Class A. I’d like to be able to travel without him, if he has to work. I can work anywhere there is internet. Thank you for your advic.

You will need a 3/4 ton truck for a fifth wheel. Some advertise that a 5th wheel is 1/2 ton towable but thats not really true. The 1/2 ton that can tow a smaller 5th wheel has to have a long bed, max tow package and no options that add weight. There are few of those 1/2 tons around, people want all the comforts of home in their truck and a bare bones 1/2 ton doesnt sell well.

1/2 ton trucks can tow a nicely equipped travel trailer, just make sure your truck isnt loaded to heavy with options. My 2020 f150 has a 6800# payload package. The truck weighs 4755#, leaving me with a 2045# cargo capacity. Some heavely optioned F150s only have a 1300# cargo capacity. SUVs will also tow a smaller travel trailer, you will have to research what SUV you want and how much it can tow.

What about a Class C? They are built on a Chevy, Ford, Dodge or Mercedes chassis. They range in size 19'-31'. I would consider that option if you are going to RV alone. Its tough to hook and unhook a trailer alone.

Welcome. You will have a bit of research and shopping to do. It is all a matter of preference. Go look at a bunch and find the floor plan you like best. A trailer might do just fine, depending on how much room you want and wht you feel comfortable towing. Also, budget will play a role. What type of camping would yould you be doing - campgrounds and state parks, boon-docking in the middle of nowhere?

Latest resources

Back