• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

timo123z

RVF Newbee
Hello Everyone,

New member here. We are looking for a new tow vehicle that will also serve as my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car to drive to and from school. We have been pulling a Honda Pilot with a tow dolly for several years, but just recently we were forced to leave it on the side of the road, suffering a tire blow out with no remaining spares (we started the trip with two extra spares, super bad luck).

Since we no longer want to use tow dolly's, I am looking for a vehicle to flat tow. While I would love to have a Wrangler, our budget is under $10k, which leaves most Jeep's off the table. I was thinking about a Mini Cooper (with manual transmission) as I have read people have had a lot of success flat towing these. I like that I can pick them up used for around $6k - $7k which fits right in the budget. I also know both Roadmaster and Blue Ox make baseplates for them. Curious who here has towed or are currently towing them and what your experiences have been with them. Plus any additional advice is welcomed! Thanks!

Welcome to RVF, @timo123z; glad you joined us. I know little to nothing about the Mini, I really can't help you there. Since you previously had a Honda, have you considered finding a clean, pre-owned 2014 CR-V? They are excellent flat tow vehicles; we have towed one since 2014 with zero issues. And, it would be a safe vehicle for your daughter to drive to school. Unfortunately, 2014 was the last year for flat towing the CR-V as they changed the transmission in 2015.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @timo123z; glad you joined us. I know little to nothing about the Mini, I really can't help you there. Since you previously had a Honda, have you considered finding a clean, pre-owned 2014 CR-V? They are excellent flat tow vehicles; we have towed one since 2014 with zero issues. And, it would be a safe vehicle for your daughter to drive to school. Unfortunately, 2014 was the last year for flat towing the CR-V as they changed the transmission in 2015.

TJ
Thank you for the suggestion TJ. I have considered the CR-V as I do see them being towed flat quite often. The two issues: Used they're twice what we can get a MINI Cooper for. And my daughter doesn't care for the look. Normally I wouldn't take that last part into consideration, but since she has been saving her money and is contributing 50% of the cost of the car, she get's a say. :) Plus, she really wants a Wrangler herself, but that's way out of the budget at the point.

Latest resources

Back