Roadtrek
RV Model
190 Popular
RV Length
Chassis
Dodge 3500
Fulltimer
No
I have a 1998 Dodge Roadtrek. As we all know, sadly, Roadtrek no longer exists. I used to get great help from their service email responder, but no more. I don't know if all 1998 190 Popular models on a Dodge frame have an Onan exhaust pipe that runs from passenger side to driver side with some turns, making it about 7' long and quite heavy. When that engine runs, it wobbles/moves all around. Over time, the short "pipe" where the exhaust pipe slides up and attaches has cracked around the base. As I look up at the muffler while lying on the ground, I see a small pipe centered within a larger pipe. It is the larger pipe which is cracked/split about 3/4 the way round. Though I have dropped this engine before for another problem, I paid no attention to the muffler, so I have no idea if the muffler sits inside a cage or guard of some kind, which creates the two pipes pointing down that I see while looking up at it. I have searched the web for a blow-up diagram of parts to discover what I am looking at, but without success. Does anyone here have, or have access to, or know of such a parts diagram for an Onan 2800 generator? Thanks (sorry this is long).

I have a 1998 Dodge Roadtrek. As we all know, sadly, Roadtrek no longer exists. I used to get great help from their service email responder, but no more. I don't know if all 1998 190 Popular models on a Dodge frame have an Onan exhaust pipe that runs from passenger side to driver side with some turns, making it about 7' long and quite heavy. When that engine runs, it wobbles/moves all around. Over time, the short "pipe" where the exhaust pipe slides up and attaches has cracked around the base. As I look up at the muffler while lying on the ground, I see a small pipe centered within a larger pipe. It is the larger pipe which is cracked/split about 3/4 the way round. Though I have dropped this engine before for another problem, I paid no attention to the muffler, so I have no idea if the muffler sits inside a cage or guard of some kind, which creates the two pipes pointing down that I see while looking up at it. I have searched the web for a blow-up diagram of parts to discover what I am looking at, but without success. Does anyone here have, or have access to, or know of such a parts diagram for an Onan 2800 generator? Thanks (sorry this is long).
I have a 1999 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular with a Onan MicroLite'" 2800 Series like yours. I also removed the generator and did a lot of work on it (Replaced the; Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Air Filter, Oil, Spark Plug and All the aluminum wiring. My Onan MicroLite'" 2800 Series generator has a hanger for the exhaust pipe. I am attaching all the information that I have for my Onan generator to this reply. If you would like me to take pictures of my exhaust pipe with the hanger, then please let me know. I hope this helps you.
Robert; [email protected]

Attachments

• Onan Microlite 2800 Operators Manual.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • Onan Microlite 2800 Service Manual.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 105
  • Onan MicroLite 2800.pdf
    171.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Roadtrek AC Power Supply.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
  • Roadtrek Power Converter.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 30
RBC, thank you for your reply and for the attachments you sent. I have the Onan owners/operators manual and the list of dealers and service suppliers. I took my unit to the Atlanta Cummins Power South repair shop south of Atlanta, about an hour+ drive for me. They kept it three days, charged me $1300.00 and the first time I tried to use it, it wouldn't run. So, I contacted an owner via a forum like this. He had the exact same running-stalling problem and told me how to solve it. It has run like a charm since. But recently I noticed as I "exercise" monthly that it was getting louder. Upon examination, I have discovered the short exit pipe welded to the muffler has split 3/4 around the weld. It cannot be rewelded in place, but must be removed. Then I have to find someone who will even do it. So, I decided to buy a new muffler. As I said, I have dropped the Onan before to repair the stalling after 5 min problem (by installing a new fuel pump and relocating it outside of the containment box so it would stop overheating). But I paid no attention to the muffler at that time since I had no need at that time. Someone else sent a blow-apart parts diagram, which is what I needed to match part numbers to get the correct muffler. I have it. And I think I know how to do this job. I just wish I had a simple way to drop it from the frame of the van. Last time I jerryrigged it using blocks of wood and a floor jack. One must balance that 110 lb unit on the single point of the floor jack, and that's a real trick. I'm currently trying to rig the floor jack with a homemade platform to sit the engine on. How did you do it?

RBC, thank you for your reply and for the attachments you sent. I have the Onan owners/operators manual and the list of dealers and service suppliers. I took my unit to the Atlanta Cummins Power South repair shop south of Atlanta, about an hour+ drive for me. They kept it three days, charged me $1300.00 and the first time I tried to use it, it wouldn't run. So, I contacted an owner via a forum like this. He had the exact same running-stalling problem and told me how to solve it. It has run like a charm since. But recently I noticed as I "exercise" monthly that it was getting louder. Upon examination, I have discovered the short exit pipe welded to the muffler has split 3/4 around the weld. It cannot be rewelded in place, but must be removed. Then I have to find someone who will even do it. So, I decided to buy a new muffler. As I said, I have dropped the Onan before to repair the stalling after 5 min problem (by installing a new fuel pump and relocating it outside of the containment box so it would stop overheating). But I paid no attention to the muffler at that time since I had no need at that time. Someone else sent a blow-apart parts diagram, which is what I needed to match part numbers to get the correct muffler. I have it. And I think I know how to do this job. I just wish I had a simple way to drop it from the frame of the van. Last time I jerryrigged it using blocks of wood and a floor jack. One must balance that 110 lb unit on the single point of the floor jack, and that's a real trick. I'm currently trying to rig the floor jack with a homemade platform to sit the engine on. How did you do it?
To lower the generator: I used two ratcheting tie downs. These are the tie downs that I use to hold my dirt bikes in the bed of my truck. This is a much safer way of lowering the generator. I hooked one tie down to the frame of the van, then I ran the tie down strap down under the generator and hooked the other side to frame of the van. I did the other side of the generator the same way. I tightened the ratcheting straps. I removed the bolts that holds the generator to the frame of the van. I unratcheted one strap a little then did the other side a little until I got the generator on the ground. It took a lot of time going from one strap the other.

That pipe clamps around the muffler that is attached to the engine. the crack you see is on the muffler. You will need to remove the engine from Roadtrek. Then remove muffler from generator and get it reweld at crack.

You can go on the internet to find the the parts breakdown.

Wow, You took it to Atlanta Cummins Power South repair shop and spent $1300.00??? Wow, it sounds like you have more dollars then sense, a lot more then I do! I'm happy its running good again!

Latest resources

Back