• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Loose slide motor bolts problem

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
So far, we have found that a good application of LocTite Blue (which Newmar did not do when they put our coach together) has resolved the problem of slide-motor bolts working loose. We do check them periodically, however.

TJ

Very interesting. Not sure how it works exactly...the 2 sides of the bracket are different. One has "teeth" the other seems like an exact nut fit.

Can someone explain this?

So far, we have found that a good application of LocTite Blue (which Newmar did not do when they put our coach together) has resolved the problem of slide-motor bolts working loose. We do check them periodically, however.

TJ
I agree...Blue Loctite for me, and no problems. Loctite holds my jeep together, so should work for my newmar too.

Looks like one end of the bar has a hex hole and the other an 18-point (?) hole. The provided bolts have a grove for C-clips. When in place, the screw heads are prevented from turning by the socket-type engagements at each end of the locking bar and the C-clips keep the bar from popping off. Looks like it should work fine, but I can buy an awful lot of LocTite Blue for $75.

TJ

Last edited:
Looks like one end of the bar has a hex hole and the other an 18-point (?) hole. The provided bolts have a grove for C-clips. When in place, the screw heads are prevented from turning by the socket-type engagements at each end of the locking bar and the C-clips keep the bar from popping off. Looks like it should work fine, but I can buy an awful lot of LocTite Bluse for $75.

TJ
Thanks for the explanation. Now I am more convinced that my loctite & paint line are more than sufficient.

Why not do as they do in aviation? Safety wire?

I did the safety wire + Locktite thing 3 years ago. Bought the drilled head bolts etc. Then went to a service center for them to take care of any existing recalls.
They took off all the safety wire and did again the locktite thing? I watched the mechanic. Never used or had a torque wrench.

After a year I was at Newmar for my warranty closeout and asked them to check slide motor bolts. They didn't use a torque wrench either, after he "snugged" one and said they were good it stopped there. Was shocked. I checked mine at year 2 without a torque wrench and checked for snug as well, bedroom slide was the only one that had two loose (not snug) and of course is the most painful to get to.

I had mine safety wired about 4.5 years ago, not long after we bought it. This was about the time the issue was coming to light. Was at the Hoots rally and a mobile tech was doing them for about $100.

Latest resources

Back