• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rhickish

RVF Newbee
Loud furnace exhaust,
has anybody had complaints about the furnace exhaust being too loud for your neighbors and if so what is the fix?
My furnace has a low tone resonance that does vibrate the adjacent trailer

Wow! :oops: Maybe you could fashion some sort of cover or something to channel the exhaust to the ground you snap in place while you camp that could be removed while you travel?

@Rhickish what type of RV and what type of furnace system?

Please go to the Profile area of the site then account details and fill out the info when able.

Some furnaces are just inherently loud. It has to do with the burner design. I would be hesitant to put some sort of shield on it due to ventilation requirements. Also, you would need to be concerned about how hot the shield would get and its effects on the side of the RV.

Some furnaces are just inherently loud. It has to do with the burner design. I would be hesitant to put some sort of shield on it due to ventilation requirements. Also, you would need to be concerned about how hot the shield would get and its effects on the side of the RV.
I did assemble this 90° exhaust pipe with a lawnmower style muffler, it seems to work pretty well and still provide enough ventilation. Any thoughts of unintended consequences with the set up?

Attachments

• 6141C9C9-008E-4758-9C75-CAB99951891E.jpeg
    6141C9C9-008E-4758-9C75-CAB99951891E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
I rarely use the gas heater because the pound inside and out. Instead I used these types of oil heaters. One heats up the entire RV unless it is extremely cold.

1614550701401.jpeg

I did assemble this 90° exhaust pipe with a lawnmower style muffler, it seems to work pretty well and still provide enough ventilation. Any thoughts of unintended consequences with the set up?
I would be concerned about the heat retention in the furnace causing a premature burn out of the heat exchanger.

I would be concerned about the heat retention in the furnace causing a premature burn out of the heat exchanger.
Not to mention the increased back pressure causing an incomplete burn and increased smoke/soot. Gas furnaces are more complex in operation than it might appear.

TJ

I have exactly the same problem with my Dometic furnace on a 2021 Lance trailer and considering a similar solution. Early this year, around 10 pm, a campsite neighbor shouted into the dark “Shut that f*&king thing off”. It is a very loud “bass note” harmonic and if I’m listening for it, can actually hear the furnace when I’m more than a hundred yards away.

Rhickish, where did you get the 90 degree bent tube that fits the furnace exhaust pipe. I was thinking this alone might change the harmonic and quiet the furnace down. Directing the sound down would also be a big help

Latest resources

Back