• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tranquility Retreat

RVF Newbee
Hi everyone,
I am a real estate developer in Atlanta. I have started exploring the idea of building a luxury RV Retreat in North Georgia. The site is huge, has beautiful creeks and streams, and a hardwood canopy. Our plan is to start with 50 spots, each will have full hook ups, plus a safari tent with a small kitchenette, seating area, lighting, fans, a porch, and a fire place. Each site will be 30-50 feet from one another. There will be a club house with his and hers locker rooms, which will have a steam room and sauna, 6-7 showers, and laundry facilities. There will be a resort style pool with multiple eating areas and a common room with TVs, games, and areas to lounge. There will be food service at the club house, which will consist of continental breakfasts, take away lunch items, and a dinner buffet. There will be miles of walking trails and an open field for yoga and other activities. The price per night will be around $150-$200.
The location is very secluded and about 1 hour from any interstate, but the access roads are acceptable. There is internet.
I’d love to hear your opinion on a place like this. Does anything jump out as crazy or a bad idea? The distance from some of the sites to the club house is pretty far, about 200 yards. The topography is not completely level but they are manageable in my opinion. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Price a high for me as well, even though it sounds wonderful

We just took our first trip in our 2003 Kountry Star last week. We spent a few nights at South Myrtle Beach then to Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort. We had friends staying at Hilton Head. Cost us 125 a night and it was very nice but honestly we enjoyed the more friendly, relaxed feeling at Ocean Lakes at Myrtle. Not only was it a little too high for us but little too upscale for us. It was probably 95% full so it is great for many people. Good luck whatever you decide.

Before you build, you should visit Anchor Down RV Resort in Dandridge, Tn. It's by far the nicest campground I've ever encountered and not as costly as what you propose.

I haven't seen campers doing yoga, but I'm sure there are some.

There is no way I would pay that much to "camp".

I agree, had my 5th wheel at Anchor Downs for a month couple years ago while I was working in Knoxville. To me it was nicer than the resort at Hilton Head except for the way the sites were landscaped at Hilton Head giving you a good deal of privicy.

Maybe you should look at what Jim is going to offer, and his pricing model. When he opens he may have to seek cover as his customers shoot it out to get in.

With that said there are not enough RV parks in general. Luxury is not as important to a lot of those looking for a place, as a reasonable price. If it's about the money, I think you may starve.

We own a built-out lot in a “luxury” RV Resort in Montana and while it does not have a few of the things you propose (”food service at the clubhouse” and on -premise hiking trails, for instance) the nightly rates are lower than what you propose as well. From my perspective, the value in a ”luxury RV resort” is in the site amenities and spacing from other sites. People who will pay for a luxury site value the ability to be secluded when they want and to gather together on their site when they want. That means natural screening between sites, easy access and hookup, nice territorial views, built-out patio with high-end grilling capability, refrigerator, comfortable outdoor furniture, gas fire pit, etc.

Our lot has all of that plus easy access to nearby dining establishments, stores, scenic attractions, etc. When we have rented it out (which we are no longer doing), rates were in the $120-$185 range, depending on the season. Now, this is in Montana (high-end, very scenic Montana). I don’t know what similar facilities might rent for in North Georgia.

I do strongly encourage you to do an extensive market survey in your area before proceeding with your proposed plan. I have some doubts that the business model, as proposed, will generate the kind of income you would need to support it and turn a reasonable profit. As previously suggested, take a look at what Jim is doing in North Carolina for some comparisons. Building a small RV park.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

TJ

Last edited:
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
There is a market but the question is ROI for the plan. There was a good discussion of this concept over on the "other" forum a few years ago. As I recall, depending on location a luxury RV resort would come in around $100k+ per site to build. If the location is in a seasonal destination it may not work, unless you sell the lots.

There were two large RV parks under consideration in Alpine, WY just South of Jackson. One was mid range the other was high end. The high end development stopped and the mid range park is under construction. Short season just does not allow a high end park to be profitable. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back