Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins ISX12 (500HP)
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep GC Summit Reserve
Fulltimer
Yes
Well with @TJ&LadyDi post about USPS service, I figured it was finally time to post this. I too have lost faith in USPS.

There have been packages which were misdirected to the wrong post office and then go missing for weeks. The only positive side is that the sender of these packages have sometimes reshipped the item and doesn’t want to bother having the original item returned (or the item is custom and is of no value to them).

About 10 days ago I had my home USPS mail that’s been collecting for the past three weeks sent to me in a Priority Mail (3 day) flat rate box. 10 days have passed and the package is still sitting at the sender’s local distribution center. This package contains bills (most, if not all, already paid), as well as various letters. Most importantly, it contains most of my tax documents as it includes mail from late January.

We normally travel 2-3 times a year and stay away for 2-3 months at a time. In the past, USPS was pretty much on time and we would have our mail sent General Delivery to a post office in the area we would arrive in around the same time. I can no longer trust USPS to delivery mail on time and will give UPS a try. Although a bit more inconvenient, hopefully more dependable.

Given that we travel 4-5 months out of the year, and are planning on selling our home and moving in the next year or so, I like to find out how to handle my mail in the future. I believe some of you travel to another location for a few months during the summer/winter and then return home. How do you handle your mail delivery? I already have most of my bills, etc taken care of online, but there is still mail, must of it ad hoc such as yearly tax documents, tax bills, vehicle registration stickers, etc. that is delivered to my home.

My thought is that I can use a mail delivery service and with the right plan they will scan the mail envelopes and for me to then tell them how to deal with it (open/scan/email, throw away, etc). This sounds like it would be good while I’m traveling, but perhaps not while I am home for 7-8 months out of the year given that it would delay getting mail. Also what about security, as now this mail forwarding business is opening your mail and who knows what happens to it once they scan it and make it available to you (and possibly others / hackers) via the Internet?

Looking for ideas. Thanks

You might want to determine if you wish to establish residency in another state with your mail service, i.e. FL, WY, TX, MT etc. There are services that provide a "Home Address" in addition to mail service.

There are a number of services that specialize in RV travelers that have reasonable reviews. Internet Search will turn up many. Escapees Mail Forwarding comes to mind.

There are a few things to watch out for regarding change of State of residency other than state taxes. Depending on your unit, there are personal property tax, Fees for vehicles over XX weight, RV license requirements, Inbound Sales Tax on motor vehicles, etc. Nevada specifically has a Fee of XX% you are assessed every year on the RV.
After living in multiple state around the US, we found Florida to be the best for low taxes, very few fees, regulation, etc. for new residents.
FL Sales taxes are high but very few other fees to worry about. No onerous regulations particular to RVs.

another recommendation has a nice FAQ MyRVmail.com | Affordable Mail Forwarding

Last edited:
We've been full-timing for >10 years and have been using SD-based mail services for that entire tire to do as you describe and as our residence address. We are currently with YourBestAddress out of Sioux Falls. They notify me of each mail item that is delivered by sending me a scan of the outside of the envelope. That service is covered by the monthly fee. If I want an item opened and scanned they do that for a modest additional charge. Alternatively, they will send me any mail pieces that I select. These ae not opened so I can preserve privacy if I wish.

We also maintain a winter "home" in TX and have another mail service at that location. That way when we travel I know that any mail that comes to that address will be secured. While traveling I don't bother to have my mail forwarded since all the bills are paid online, anyway.

Latest resources

Back