Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
As a software developer and software biz owner I spend a lot of my time RVing on the computer. This was the objective of my buying an RV to have much better office views and enjoying travels when all I need for my business is an Internet connection. Some of you are creators such as YouTubers, Bloggers, Vloggers and the same applies setting up an ergonomic and enjoyable workspace in a confined space.

As I recently posted I believe the new 24 inch iMac by Apple is an ideal computer unless you have a need for Microsoft Windows (as I do). As I no longer have my dedicated desk I'm back to using a laptop computer as my main setup. I did bring my iMac 27 inch along this short 3 week journey but I decided not to use it and see how things go using my laptop. My primary laptop is a 17 inch Dell XPS laptop, I also have a 15 inch MacBook Pro for my Apple development needs. I'd like to share a few tips on making a nice office setup with your laptop either at the dinette or on your couch, wherever your favorite working spot may be.

For my dinette setup I am using a stand that the laptop computer sits on putting the display more inline with my eyes vs. hunching over looking down which is not a good ergonomic position and can hurt your neck or shoulders. I can tell you in my years as a software developer I've experienced more pain and injury from the computer than any sports I've ever played! So proper ergonomics is very important. Here is the computer stand I'm using for my laptop. There are plenty of options for these around to choose your liking and ensure it fits your laptop.

laptop-stand.png

I use a keyboard and mouse by Logitech. I love the feel but it's also lighted so you can easily see the keys in the dark. For mac only I do like their magic keyboard and mouse (or trackpad) which you can use with your MacBook Pro or iMac computers. The logitech keyboard and mouse I use also has the ability to pair with 3 different computers which include tablets such as iPads. In case you didn't know you can pair via bluetooth external keyboards and mice to iPads.

My current favorite keyboard and mouse are the MX Keys keyboard and MX Master 3 mouse compatible on both macOS and Windows:

mx-keys-keyboard.png

mx-master-3-mouse.png

If you're sitting in a recliner or couch a portable workstation such as below works nice. It provides a nice and stable platform for your laptop and even a mouse if you want to use one. I use one of these at home in the recliner while watching TV and continuing to dabble or plan my RV route and I also keep one in the RV for the sofa use. It is far better than dealing with the laptop on my lap!

portable-workstation.png
In conclusion and sharing some of my geek lifestyle tips there are ways to improve your RV office setups with a few inexpensive additions that stow well and make your time on the computer more healthy and enjoyable.

I've never put a laptop on my lap. My 17 inch toshiba would set my pants on fire if I tried it.

I will see your laptop stand and raise you these Trio Max portable laptop monitors. My wife can't stop admiring her mobile office setup!
AD0ADD06-664A-449A-9C71-CE2DA92C5571.jpeg

Time to dig an old thread out and dust it off a bit.

Like so many others who have to mix the fun of RVing with the reality of tending to business, I am looking for a solution to the "laptop on the dinette" problem. Trish has indicated that I may be outside soon if I don't find a way to clean up the table.

After a few minutes of envisioning what I can do with the area where the 2 swivel recliners are, I decided that a remodel might be a bit extreme, and probably not a wise move when time comes to sell.

So I'm thinking of an adjustable laptop stand, something similar to this one. If I can slide the stand under the recliner, and adjust the laptop support to the proper height, I could free up the dinette.

I'm a little concerned that this one won't adjust enough to serve my needs, but it's a start. Anyone has any solutions that go along these lines?

71WvkLA2MCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Does your passenger seat have the built in desktop thingy that pivots out? That's not a bad setup.

Does your passenger seat have the built in desktop thingy that pivots out? That's not a bad setup.
No, not sure if it ever had one. But something like that would work.

Not sure if the 2016 had it or not but many remove them as they don't like them. I like it.

While we were working I had two small lap desks with legs that I sat in the bed. One had the laptop and keyboard / mouse and the other had my second monitor.

Had a pillow that wrapped around me for support of my back.

Wife used the dinette.

Worked well and I just stayed in bed all day 😀

At the end of the day everything was broke down and put in the closet.

Desks were similar to this.

Mind Reader Laptop Lap Desk Flip Top with Drawer, Foldable Legs, Breakfast Tray, Brown Amazon.com

For the limited audience of the 4311 and 3911 Newmar floorplans, there is a Desk option for the Dinette. We had it on the 3911, and ordered it for the 4311. Option 4K123, which has a pull out table for a laptop and a cabinet for a small printer. Worked well for us managing small business interests and emails via internet on the road. Note our very Large Print All in One thingy did not fit underneath
deskcanyonstar.jpg

Latest resources

Back