Canyon Star 3205
RV Length
Chassis
Workhorse w20
Engine
8.1 L Vortec
Fulltimer
No
Occasionally when we level out the MH our two (entry) steps have about a 10 inch fall off to the ground. I was considering making a platform that could serve as a third step if necessary. I see you can buy them ($60 +/-) but the platform is only 19" X 14". I was considering something bigger (the size of our welcome mat for example). Anyone undertake this project ? My limits would be the storage limits of the bay I intend to use and weight.. Just thought I'd ask before re-inventing the wheel. Thanks

This is the problem. stairs are all supposed to be equal height. Yah we all get that but how do you do it in a MH with pre-defined norm. So below is a pic of my set-up. Maybe you can figure a way to do something like it below the last step if needed, or use the porch idea.
20210407_164346.jpg

Yes, I have built my own. I made it from cedar deck planking. It is made in 2 sections that stack/nest one on top of the other. That way, if I only want 4", I use just the top half. If I need another 4", I set the top on the bottom and there we go. It is hollow underneath, so I can store some objects under it, but for the most part, yes, it takes up space. I have not yet invented the shrinking chamber.

I am now back home from our snowbird winter in AZ. Coach is in storage, I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Thank you...having "stackable" steps is intriguing...I'll post back when I decide on a design. Really appreciate your input. Blessings...

13CFCD59-B458-4A9E-9B50-F3F65937196D.jpeg
1BCB0432-BBBF-4370-B2B4-C7EA2997B5B3.jpeg
FD62AC16-3349-46A9-A495-231C48371DCD.jpeg

Each level is a cedar 2 x 4, so 3 1/2” high. 18” x 28”. The top platform has finger grips routed into each side. You might wonder, “why the rabbet on the edges of the lower platform?” Quite simple, a mistake. I ran all the pieces rather than half the pieces through that part of the process. The corner posts are what aligns the upper and lower platforms.

Nicely done my friend! Thanks for sharing. Good sized (could put a mat on top) and multi-level. Is the top 2 X 6 or 1 x 6 ? You've been helpful...thanks

Top planks are 5/4 x 6 cedar decking. For storing, it can be placed upside-down leaving a cavity to put stuff in it.

With the current prices on lumber it would probably be cheaper to buy the aluminum adjustable one made just for your purpose. Lumber prices have more than doubled this winter in most places. Making those two little boxes would probably cost you $70 to $100 right now.

so TRUE...especially in California. I do however have (on hand) the necessary lumber to build one. Still considering weight and stowage...and the aluminum one certainly has an advantage in both those areas. Hand built alternatives appeal to me...so I'm continuing to teeter ? Thanks everyone for your keen insight.

Latest resources

Back