RV Model
Imperial
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Fiat
Fulltimer
Yes
Hi folks.

I'll be receiving a Max Transit Cat 18 in a few days, and I have a Verizon activation question.

I had a Pepwave BR-1 which did great for several years. Then I took advantage of the Verizon Prepaid Unlimited, and Verizon took advantage of me. They declared that the BR-1 was so old it couldn't be activated on the network. At the time I was talking to them Voip _via the BR-1_. Fast forwarding, I ended up with a Verizon 8800L hotspot, used it for a while, and then found that I couldn't get Verizon where I was for a year and a half and let the plan lapse.

A bit more than a month ago I reactivated the 8800L on the 150g plan. The 8800L is somewhat ok with the two antennae on the roof but based on the old BR-1 I expect the Max Transit to be much better.

So...do I need to "officially" add the Max Transit to my Verizon account, or can I just stick the sim out of the 8800L in it, since it's a data sim used in a "device" and not a phone or tablet? Thanks.

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I believe just putting the SIM in the unit will work fine.

lemondrop9344

RVF Regular
I'm inclined to agree with Neal. I assume the sim for the 8800L will be the same size as what goes into the CAT-18. I would stick it in slot A & power it up with the default settings, It should get connected within a few minutes.
To make life easier, I would connect a PC via Ethernet during the initial setup.
Good luck, let us know how things go.

jbh

Just Idling Around
RV Year
RV Make
HR
RV Model
Imperial
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Fiat
Fulltimer
Yes
I got the Max Transit installed this evening. Took only a leisurely hour or so. The sim is nano but I had the adaptor provided by TechnoRV. Verizon immediately noticed that I'd put the sim in a new device and emailed me to check my account etc; the only thing I noticed is where previously the account said I was limited to 720p streaming it now says 1080p streaming; might just be a coincidence. Looks good so far.

I can't check speed yet. The _one_ Verizon site in the area drops down to two cans and a string in the evening when everyone gets on their devices.

lemondrop9344

RVF Regular
As a point of reference; I have 4 Verizon sims installed in 4 different devices. I was concerned about getting the correct sim in the correct device. Verizon support indicated the sims would be interchangeable. Your experience seems to validate that. I find it interesting they contacted you.
Thanks for feedback.

jbh

Just Idling Around
RV Year
RV Make
HR
RV Model
Imperial
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Fiat
Fulltimer
Yes
60.08 Mbps this morning here in the boonies near Demopolis, Ala.

Somewhere in the Verizon support docs I read that one should just put the sim in the new device when on a postpaid plan so I figured that I'd just see what happens on a prepaid plan. The data use status tab appears to have gone away on this line on Myverizon.

jbh

Just Idling Around
RV Year
RV Make
HR
RV Model
Imperial
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Fiat
Fulltimer
Yes
No, there used to be a percent-data-remaining note on myverizon; it's still there for the phone but went away for the data device. A bit odd but no big deal.