RV Year
RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Discovery
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
I want to pull cargo trailer behind my 39' Class A Fleetwood Discovery motorhome. Would like to pull a 28' trailer to haul off road vehicles. The hitch on front of trailer probably ads 4' I think this is too long, but not sure what the maximum is. Is there any permit or license that permits me to carry longer loads? Any advice would be appreciated.

IMHO, there are 2 distinct factors here:
1) Drivers license - does your issuing state have requirements for a specific drivers license class based on your weight/length? Check your state’s laws. Sometimes even the DMV isn’t sure and you can get different answers. Find it in writing.
2) Laws of the state for overall length - this varies by state and is enforced by the state you are in, regardless of where your driver’s license is issued. There have been many discussions on this in various forums and sites. Many have traveled for years with long lengths and never received tickets and others have seen a ticket or 2 for being too long.
This site has a compilation of state laws on the matter:

Hope it helps!

As mentioned above, states pretty much control the length issue. Also note that some roads (particularly small country roads that go to nice recreation spots) may have special restrictions on length (if narrow, winding, or other issues), so even if you are technically leagal in a particular state on "a certain road" you may not be (see this mostly in the East).

Example in some of the Rocky mountain states, maximum legal is 85 feet and you can pull double trailers with just a regular drivers license!!! and you can also get a permit to go to 110 feet ;). But as an example in if you cross the boarder going into Idaho from any state you can get a $600 ticket for being only 65 feet long with the wrong tow configuration. Its crazy. Typically though 65 total length is pretty standard on any unit with a tow. *Pretty Standard* meaning not everywhere.

Johnnie

It varies from State to State. You'll have to check with each one you plan to travel through.

Latest resources

Back