Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Simon

RVF Newbee
I need opinions on a Mercedes Diesel RV. Maintenance? Mileage? reliability? gas mile? and overall satisfaction.
Thx
Simon

I'm assuming your talking about the 4 cyl Mercedes diesel in a Sprinter van? These little diesel engines have been in production in Europe for 100 years. (exaggeration) They run well and last a long time. But nobody ever accused them of having any power. They seem to work well in the Mercedes cars but in a full size van it seems underpowered because of all the cargo you can carry. Mercedes has come out with a brand new diesel engine in the last couple of years due to all the power complaints of the old one. I have not driven one myself but the numbers are better on paper. No one knows how well it will last until it's been in production for a few years.

Im going to assume you are talking about the 6 cylinder BluTec used in the Sprinter chassis. I had a 2017 rig for two years. Went through a few recalls and did the oil changes myself. Here are my thoughts on the Sprinter: pretty economical as people are getting 15 mpg with them (not towing). You can tow up to a 4200 toad, if I recall correctly. Some units have a visible DEF indicator, others don't, so really have to watch DEF levels. Handles very well, uses either a propane or diesel generator, generally 2500 watts. Easy to park and move round in parking lots (think full size pickup truck). Now, the downsides: maintenance costs are very high due to it being Mercedes. Parts costs are quite high. If you have a breakdown, or problems on the road, very few places can or will work on them, as (if under warranty) only authorized dealers are allowed to do so. Lots of dealers sell the rig, but few work on them (chassis). The unit has a very low CCCC, 11,030 pounds. That basically means the if you are towing, you can carry a 6 pack and 2 changes of underwear. Seriously though, you really have to be aware of your weight with these. We ended up going to a class A because this was just too small for me - bigger guy.

High Desert you touched on the biggest weakness to owning a Sprinter van. Lots of places sell them but few work on them. Most Mercedes dealerships want nothing to do with them. A lot don't even sell them! So, their service outlets are Freightliner Dealers for the most part. As somebody that worked at a heavy truck dealership for 15 years I PROMISE YOU, if you have a break down or need service and your wife has to spend the day in a waiting room of a Freightliner Dealer with the other Tractor Trailer drivers............you'll have to sell your Sprinter van!!! The waiting rooms at a heavy truck dealership is similar to a rec room at a prison. It is not set up for the general public. No creature comforts. You'll be lucky if the TV works. And if there is a couch you won't want to sit on it. And this is if you can FIND a Freightliner Dealer. Heavy Truck dealers are not like car or pickup dealerships. It may be 200 to 500 miles between dealerships. Or the closest one may be in the next State. So beware.

Latest resources

Back