Newmar as of 2021; Beaver 2012-21
RV Model
London Aire; Patriot Thunder
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
18 Lincoln Navigator; prior 13 Explorer
Fulltimer
No
So, in a world where things are tried out for substantial time before buying, we may have done something different. However such was not the case as we bought a 15 London Aire 4553 without much “testing” so to speak.

The problem arises as my wife is in a wheelchair and has limited mobility. We initially thought the rear bath was doable, and she used it a number of times. However this entails me lifting her in the wheel chair up onto the rear platform; not the easiest or most convenient use. Plus some element of danger if the chair were to slip.

Consequently we are looking at her using the middle bath but the way the door is mounted/hinged does not provide enough space for entry. If removed the doorway is wide enough, not for the chair, but enough for her to get into it.

My thought is to change the mounting hinge to a regular hinge so the door opens out. The full slide has to go out for her to move around anyway (either mid or rear bath) so Newmars trick door hinge Isn’t really necessary. Yes, if it’s changed, it will affect entry if the full slide isn’t out - that shouldn’t happen to often.

Doing so will likely entail removing some outside moulding, which certainly detracts the appearance of the coach, but it may be the solution. A sliding door would be difficult and a folding door would take up too much space in the opening. Picture is door opening.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

I can't really help, but I agree with your idea...when we ordered our MH, we had them put in a regular door instead of the pivot door so it could be opened wide - and also to make sure it didn't get jammed shut as my son has epilepsy and we felt it would be easier to get him out with a regular door than a pivot should he have a seizure in there. So I know it can be done. They did cut the bottom of the door about 3 inches so it could get over the slide rug a bit when everything is closed up...

IMG_20170407_145641279.jpg

Thanks for the reply, and that looks to be what I’ll likely do. I may not cut the door tbough.

Ok. But if you do not shorten the door you will not be able to get in that bath while closed up (I.e. when in the road)

Even if you never "plan" to use the bathroom door w/out the slide opened I would probably cut the door so that I could when the plan goes astray.

We aren't full time so when we (ok I'm) getting ready for a trip or just returned from a trip there are frequently armloads of things going in/out (e.g., washing used towels in the sticks/bricks) and trying to do that with a door that only opens part way is harder.

Also although these RVs are great when everything is working every so often something goes bump - or falls to the floor while driving. I wouldn't want to have to open up the slide to get in there. I know we've been 200 miles into a trip and heard something fall in that mid-bath before and sent someone to go find out what it was, in the '15 CS we had the showerhead fall off the mount at least twice, but we've also found that somehow the shampoo that the kids swore they put away was left in the shower ledge until that first good pothole.

I know the amount of space is different on every floor plan - and I've seen others w/ floorplans where the doorway is angled that have enough room to get a full adult in/out of the bathroom w/out opening the slide and w/out cutting that bottom 3". So maybe you're going to be lucky and it will work for you.

- Richard

May take the suggestion to trim the door, as the point is well taken that things happen, and may not be able to open the big slide when/if need to. I’ll have to put the slides in and see how much room, I.e. If I can squeeze through.

Could ask Newmar how much a door costs if I mess this one up - I’m sure it’ll be valuable!

Newmar should have put in either a slider door, or a pocket door, plenty of room on the wall for either. I hate the pivot door, but we are not disabled so we can make it work. Newmar does make a coach for you in mind and trying to make a non-disabled coach into a disabled one is going to take money and time. I appreciate your Delima, you might see if newmar can modify the door to better serve your needs. A friend who has same coach as mine got quote from someone who could modify the door into slider I think, 2500.00 for the change. That will buy a chunk of diesel in today's world.

A pocket door would have been a good idea; certainly are used often in many applications. I can understand In some ways why Newmar put in the pivot door, but it does feel somewhat flimsy. I guess I relate it to the solid feel of the door(s) in the Beaver coach (traded it); Beaver woodwork (and use of real wood- ) was better but that’s for another discussion.

Regarding the coach Newmar makes for disabled folks, it may be good for some, but in our case its a lot of modifications which she wouldn’t use. So we just make do. Have been doing so in two other coaches and now this Newmar - just need to adapt and improvise.

I think I’ll modify the hinge mechanism i.e regular hinges, on the pivot door for now. It’s something that can be put back to original if need be.

Yes, to modifying door hinges. Took one drawer under counter near TV and (newmar) made a pull-out shelf for my laptop. Saved old drawer, since all need to do is put front and glides back on it to restore to original. Good luck, pictures when finished so we see how well it turns out.

Latest resources

Back