Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
A while back, I'd posted on someone else's thread about my plan to remove the carpet from our slide rooms and in order to get a perfect match, scan my spare floor tiles, organize them into a staggered layout in photoshop and then send that design off to be printed onto a sheet of vinyl flooring.

Well, that plan didn't turn out so well. I took the floor tiles to a print shop that said they could scan them over the phone. I got a call the next day saying they couldn't scan them because their process was to hang the tile and scan them with some contraption that requires the item to be hung. I assume it was just a really high resolution camera and then they would crop it in photoshop. Anyway, they called and said they didn't want to do it because the flooring tiles were so heavy and they didn't want to break one.

From there, I called some other businesses that had high resolution, large format flatbed scanners. None of them wanted to touch the project because of concerns over reproducing another company's intellectual property - eg. the flooring design. Next, I actually called Newmar, asked them where they got the tile, then called the dealer who contacted the manufacturer, asking if they would share the design files with me for a fee. Still came up empty handed.

Up until now, every time I saw a flooring center or home center, I'd pop in and see if they had anything that came even close to our main flooring that would work for replacing the carpet in the FWS. Last weekend, I happened across Floor & Decor while driving out to Cap World of Orlando to order my truck bed cap. Today I decided I'd pop in there and see what they had. It's a large store so I figured they'd probably have something close-ish but I have some major OCD when it comes to these things so I grabbed one of the spare flooring tiles for comparison purposes, put it in the truck and drove over. I walked in, headed over to the vinyl section and boom, on the very first aisle (of 6 aisles just of vinyl mind you)...
63674962349__B519C25D-E908-4710-8FA1-B09415ACA858.jpg

Well, that's pretty darn close but its a little brown, I thought. If I buy a few boxes and cherry pick, using the more grayish over the more brownish that could work. Decided to check the next aisles and voila...
63674891138__DDC2B202-6BA9-4B54-BA8C-AEFBA6DED820.jpg

Well that's pretty much perfect. Now the cool thing about Floor & Decor aside from it being a huge tile, stone and flooring store is that if you need to compare, you can take a whole piece home for just $5. Bring it back within 90 days and they'll give you your money back. So I took two pieces of each product home so we could lay them out and see what actually looked better against the rest of the tiles as I only had one with me and what do you know, the first one came out as a pretty much identical match.

63675903909__115E6ED8-BC47-435C-BFAD-7E27F8980B1F.jpg

All of this will go in the FWS and most will be covered by the theater seats, dinette booth and bunks so even if its not an absolute identical match, it's sure going to be really hard to tell the difference. So I'm all measured up, need about 5 boxes and we'll be ripping out the carpet really soon.

The challenge as always is going to be the transition. It won't be a perfectly flat transition and we're okay with that. I wondered if anyone knows if the transition strip Newmar uses for DSDP+ lines will work for here too, or is the gap between the slide and the floor significantly less with the HWH slides?

Last edited:
Wow! Great match. Don’t know about the transition strip fit, but I’m sure there’s something out there that will work. (y)

TJ

Hey @MapNerd, you did OK on that! It looks great. People see what they expect to see, so even if it's not "perfect", nobody's going to notice. But to be honest, it looks pretty darn good to me.

Got all the carpet out earlier this week. Wasnt too bad of a job. The worst of it was up at the front slide where Newmar had jammed the carpet beneath the floor and the side table attached to the front slide. Took some really difficult pulling to get it out, even with the slide lifted off of it. Had to yank on it with pliers and then the carpet started coming apart in pieces, but we got it all out eventually.

Next challenge was leveling the floor. Since Newmar just uses OSB for the slide floor and OSB is prone to delaminating at its edges, they apparently cover the front edge with some sort of heavy stock wax paper edge to form an angled forward edge. The result however is a 1/8” lip where that edge cover ends and transitions to the OSB subfloor. Thankfully, Newmar revealed how to level that out in the build.
13913CD1-6655-46B7-A08F-1829E19BB460.jpeg

In the picture above, you can see the lip created from that wax paper edge cover transitioning to the OSB subfloor. You can also see that Newmar had dropped down a sheet of 1/8’ vinyl flooring to level that out. Why they did that only under my kitchen pantry cabinet, I have no idea but that basically told me how to level it out.

So, off to Lowe’s to grab some sheets of 1/8” cheap vinyl floor. We cut it to size and then used a 3M spray adhesive to hold it to the floor. We figured we’d have laminate on top weighing it down and we didn’t want a huge fight on our hands if we ever needed to get to the subfloor again to perform a repair. Hopefully never comes up but it’s always a card in the deck.

With the vinyl sheet down and the subfloor all leveled, next was laying the flooring. That was easy enough. Score with razor knife, snap board and slide into place. Rinse and repeat. We started at the forward edge of the slide in the front and worked our way toward the back wall and rear of the slide, so that we’d have a full width board at the part of the slide most seen.

At this point it’s come along nicely. The FWS is 90% done with only the transition and the ends of the main floor to fill in. Will grab some photos from my wife’s phone later this evening.

Last edited:
Let's get to tearing out stuff on an (almost) brand new Ventana! lol, love your style @MapNerd.

Let's get to tearing out stuff on an (almost) brand new Ventana! lol, love your style @MapNerd.
What? I waited for the 1-year warranty to expire. I think electric valves are in my near future as well.

This might be the only Ventana without carpet in the entire world. If there was something I absolutely hated In my Ventana, this would be at the top of my list. Congrats @MapNerd for taking this on.

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of the FWS in the master and down the hallway. The transition is actually just a quarter round that we found at Lowe’s but we ordered Newmar’s DSDP transition strip in black just to see if we like that better. If not, I’ll figure out a way to use the quarter round shown.
81E4062D-0E9C-4AC2-89E0-FCCB09234176.jpeg

27E40EBD-4108-4A31-98C3-1F53B04EB81E.jpeg

I’ll do a before/after when we’re all done.

This might be the only Ventana without carpet in the entire world. If there was something in absolutely hated In my Ventana, this be at the top of my list. Congrats @MapNerd for taking this on.
We absolutely despise carpet (rugs are okay!). Just considering the level of revolt and loathing we have for carpet, it’s honestly completely irrational and way out of proportion. Nevertheless, we like what we like and hate what we hate. Fun fact: We almost bought an Entegra Reatta purely because it had the least carpet we could find at a similar price point.

the only reason it wasn’t done on day zero was because of my OCD and inability to find a decent match to the tile for so long.

Last edited:
That came out superb!

Latest resources

Back