Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

trayclark

RVF Newbee
I am new to RVing and wanted suggestions on the best pay as you go mobile hotspot. I need to be able to work from where ever I am. Thanks in advance.

Hotspots I have T-Mobile M2000 from Calyx is the best bang for the buck. It is not paid as go but at 750.00 for the first year and 500.00 for the 2nd year and beyond it is about the best deal out there. I stream TV and use between 400 to 800 gigs per month.
There is Starlink that can be paused but it is 699 for the equipment and 135 per month and can be paused when not using.
There is also FMCA AT&T hot spot for 60 or 65 per month and I think it paused but verify that. It is unlimited but throttled at either 12 or 25.
Other than that Verizon, AT&T, and T-mobile have hotspot plans and change to often to quote anything here.

Your biggest challenge is going to be the "from wherever I am" part. No single carrier is the best in every part of the country. If you are truly going to be traveling, your most consistent single source will be Starlink satellite, but realize that means a clear view of the sky for the dish to work. Most of us that work from the road and various stopovers around the country are using a combination of satelite and one or more cellular plans for mobile and emergency use. ATT and Verizon have the largest footprints in the US for data coverage, with T-Mobile next.

I'm "frugal" or cheap, depending on how you view such things. Basically, I either don't have the money to spend on somethings or am unwilling to spend more than I need to.

I have the $40 per month plan from Visible for my dedicated hotspot.

The Visible Midnight ($100) cellphone came with a "fast wireless charger" pad and is used exclusively as a hotspot (this was the cheapest phone to buy... my phones are never "upgradable").

Beryl router ($80 - depending on if you hit it on sale - Amazon)

Belkin BOOSTCHARGE Braided USB C to USB A Cable + Strap, Rose Gold, 5 ft ($11.97 WalMart)

Used the instructions found here: RV Internet $30-$45/month unlimited internet setup process

The info was fairly accurate for setup. But it did vary a little. If you decide to go with Visible, I would suggest that you download the Google Doc linked above, open up a COPY that you can edit and rewrite the steps needed for the phone you end up with along with the passwords and save it under a different name. I would suggest that where it says to dim the phone display - WAIT until you have set it all up first. Required the BOOSTCHARGE cable to get the phone/router to recognize tethering. NONE of the cables I had on hand was good enough.

I have 1 to 2 bars inside a steel skinned/steel framed bus (plays havoc with signals) and I stream Amazon Prime, Britbox (Amazon Channel), Amazon Music, Netflix and Youtube. In addition, my personal cellphone is set up to use my wifi when close enough and I have a laptop, a Fire tablet, Kindle Paperwhite, a Vankyo tablet and a laser printer on the hotspot all at the same time. It was buffering a little, but no worse than it did on the Sprint. I live near a commercial airport with a large amount of military air traffic. The military planes tend to mess with my cell reception. So I don't know how much is due to the Visible, the military or the fact that the cellphone tower acts up when it's very windy, or very hot... or very cold. Or when it has rained.

I did not do the 5Mbps speed hack... I don't know if I ever will.

So far, my only complaint is the phone periodically disconnects overnight. I unplug the USB cord tethering the router to the phone and plug it back in. In a minute or so (seems longer) the connection is back up. I suspect I didn't make the correct selection someplace when I was setting the phone up to use as a hotspot.

I'm "frugal" or cheap, depending on how you view such things. Basically, I either don't have the money to spend on somethings or am unwilling to spend more than I need to.

I have the $40 per month plan from Visible for my dedicated hotspot.

The Visible Midnight ($100) cellphone came with a "fast wireless charger" pad and is used exclusively as a hotspot (this was the cheapest phone to buy... my phones are never "upgradable").

Beryl router ($80 - depending on if you hit it on sale - Amazon)

Belkin BOOSTCHARGE Braided USB C to USB A Cable + Strap, Rose Gold, 5 ft ($11.97 WalMart)

Used the instructions found here: RV Internet $30-$45/month unlimited internet setup process

The info was fairly accurate for setup. But it did vary a little. If you decide to go with Visible, I would suggest that you download the Google Doc linked above, open up a COPY that you can edit and rewrite the steps needed for the phone you end up with along with the passwords and save it under a different name. I would suggest that where it says to dim the phone display - WAIT until you have set it all up first. Required the BOOSTCHARGE cable to get the phone/router to recognize tethering. NONE of the cables I had on hand was good enough.

I have 1 to 2 bars inside a steel skinned/steel framed bus (plays havoc with signals) and I stream Amazon Prime, Britbox (Amazon Channel), Amazon Music, Netflix and Youtube. In addition, my personal cellphone is set up to use my wifi when close enough and I have a laptop, a Fire tablet, Kindle Paperwhite, a Vankyo tablet and a laser printer on the hotspot all at the same time. It was buffering a little, but no worse than it did on the Sprint. I live near a commercial airport with a large amount of military air traffic. The military planes tend to mess with my cell reception. So I don't know how much is due to the Visible, the military or the fact that the cellphone tower acts up when it's very windy, or very hot... or very cold. Or when it has rained.

I did not do the 5Mbps speed hack... I don't know if I ever will.

So far, my only complaint is the phone periodically disconnects overnight. I unplug the USB cord tethering the router to the phone and plug it back in. In a minute or so (seems longer) the connection is back up. I suspect I didn't make the correct selection someplace when I was setting the phone up to use as a hotspot.

I'm with you, price is very important, now that Saundra passed, my income has dropped considerably.
I would like to give a summation of my choice however.

We would go to the library in the small town we are in in az, for internet service via wifi because the 135.00 Verizon service was useless, even phone calls were dropped by the service.

One day I noticed a starlink antenna on the library roof top, (they were not using cable!)

I asked around and found all carriers had lousy service here, not just Verizon.

If I were in business that required internet, I would think there would only be one choice! I Stream information videos from the time I get up till I go to bed. Saundra multi tasked watching videos, and had the TV on all day as well. I share the service with my landlord, as she has me staying on her property at no charge because it makes her feel safer.
I downloaded an app(text now)that has replaced Verizon for phone service saving 135.00 of the 138.00 dollar monthly bill of starlink. Text now is free of charge if you put up with ads (internet phone).

So that leaves the cost of equipment! 600 after shipping and tax + - (I have more in computer equipment than that, and the frustration of not being able to use that investment without considerable frustration, is worth 3 dollars monthly ).

I have no question that other users have done the same mental gymnastics as I have done.

I'm with you, price is very important, now that Saundra passed, my income has dropped considerably.
I would like to give a summation of my choice however.

We would go to the library in the small town we are in in az, for internet service via wifi because the 135.00 Verizon service was useless, even phone calls were dropped by the service.

One day I noticed a starlink antenna on the library roof top, (they were not using cable!)

I asked around and found all carriers had lousy service here, not just Verizon.

If I were in business that required internet, I would think there would only be one choice! I Stream information videos from the time I get up till I go to bed. Saundra multi tasked watching videos, and had the TV on all day as well. I share the service with my landlord, as she has me staying on her property at no charge because it makes her feel safer.
I downloaded an app(text now)that has replaced Verizon for phone service saving 135.00 of the 138.00 dollar monthly bill of starlink. Text now is free of charge if you put up with ads (internet phone).

So that leaves the cost of equipment! 600 after shipping and tax + - (I have more in computer equipment than that, and the frustration of not being able to use that investment without considerable frustration, is worth 3 dollars monthly ).

I have no question that other users have done the same mental gymnastics as I have done.
Oh I forgot! I turn the satellite off at night! All communication haults at night while I sleep, so does all the harmful radiation that most people sleep with. The wifi signal of starlink router is both 2.4 and 5g, need more information do your own research as I did.

Latest resources

Back