Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mybrowneyedbaby

RVF Newbee
Looking for used 5th wheel or TT ideally 2014-2020. Checked out 5 so far both private sale and dealerships but every single one has moisture. We have a moisture meter and the meter detects mid-high % on a lot of the slide out ceilings. Because we need a large unit and only want certain layouts there isn't a big selection to choose from. We live in New England and the units have been winterized. Could some of what the meter is detecting be blamed on the cold damp weather? I'm inclined to think no because some of the slide ceilings are low % moisture. Will i find moisture in every unit? I'm scared we will buy a soggy moldy mess. How do we know if the walls are filled with mold or if it's a small issue that will be resolved with new caulk. We will obviously be checking the roof and will be removing/replacing caulk and having slide out awnings installed and always have dehumidifier running even when we are away from our seasonal site but how do we know what is a small or large issue? Any tips to help prevent us from buying a moldy mistake would be very helpful!

Sounds like you are on the right track.

I have two small dehumidifiers running 24/7, in addition to A/C, until temps drop to freezing. This just keeps humidity to 50% or just below. Thinking of getting a compressor type or adding a third small one. I also have two Damprid baskets in my coach, one inthe electric bay and one inthe bay with the water heater and fw pump.

I also check around with a moisture meter from time to time.

I've wondered the same about after I get what we're looking for (<4500lb hybrid 6-10 sleeping) as we'll also have canvas to worry about. I guess I falsely assumed everything would be fine with whatever we're buying but that's certainly something I'll be checking as we continue to shop. I know there will be times we'll button this thing up and not step foot in it for possibly up to 6 months at a time, I need to make certain it stays dry, ideally without having to plug anything in as that might not be a possibility depending on where we store it.

Latest resources

Back