Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question My favorite 72 year old aunt who has never camped plans to buy RV DP Class A

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kathy7261

RVF Regular
My favorite 73-year old aunt, who has never camped before now plans to buy a Class A RV DM 30 footer and travel the back roads with her little lap dog! She has never driven an RV
with plans to attend a two-day, four-hour-per-day RV driving school course. Would appreciate advice from experienced campers especially women/men in their 70's who travel solo. Thanks,

That is AWESOME! Did the same thing, but I'm not in my 70's. It sounds like she is doing her homework. I met an elderly couple in an Essex and their kids gave them such a hard time literally taking the wind out from beneath their wings. They felt they were too old and should live with them and take care of the grandkids. BUT they wanted their freedom to enjoy traveling for as long as they are able. Listening to their story, my advice is to encourage and support your aunt in her adventure. Do your homework on apps that you can both use to keep track of her as she travels. She should get a Garmin In Reach as it has satellite text and SOS if she doesn't have cell or wifi coverage. I'd probably make sure she is equipped with a good router and mifi's so she has the best access possible to the world and you.

Your aunt is so lucky to have a niece that cares so much. Your seeking of information and advice is a testament of your love. I wish you both much joy. Maybe you can meet up with her on one of her adventures/destinations. ? I have a friend in her late 60's, maybe 70's (not sure) that I may be able to connect you with. She is incredible. I will text her and private message you once I reach her.

That is AWESOME! Did the same thing, but I'm not in my 70's. It sounds like she is doing her homework. I met an elderly couple in an Essex and their kids gave them such a hard time literally taking the wind out from beneath their wings. They felt they were too old and should live with them and take care of the grandkids. BUT they wanted their freedom to enjoy traveling for as long as they are able. Listening to their story, my advice is to encourage and support your aunt in her adventure. Do your homework on apps that you can both use to keep track of her as she travels. She should get a Garmin In Reach as it has satellite text and SOS if she doesn't have cell or wifi coverage. I'd probably make sure she is equipped with a good router and mifi's so she has the best access possible to the world and you.

Your aunt is so lucky to have a niece that cares so much. Your seeking of information and advice is a testament of your love. I wish you both much joy. Maybe you can meet up with her on one of her adventures/destinations. ? I have a friend in her late 60's, maybe 70's (not sure) that I may be able to connect you with. She is incredible. I will text her and private message you once I reach her.
Many blessings to you! Thank you very much for your recommendations for a Garmin in Reach, as well as a good router and mifi, to keep my aunt connected with her family and the outside world. We would greatly appreciate and accept your offer for my aunt to connect up with your friend. People like you keep the world turning! Thank you once more for your valuable input.

@kathy7261 Please don't be a stranger. If you or your Aunt have any questions, please ask. I'm not in my 70's, but I know what it's like to travel solo. AND there are plenty of men and couples here that have been traveling much longer than me and can provide incredible wisdom and advice. I wouldn't have made it this far without their help. ?

Awesome that she has a sense of adventure and is willing to pursue her dream. Youtube RVing "how to" is great for learning but there is nothing like going camping. What helped us was a break in camping week with someone knowledgeable with a similar RV. Several of these camping events with someone knowledgeable would be good.

Folks in the campground are more than willing to help. I like having a spotter when backing in so when I'm alone I'll ask someone to spot me.

My favorite 73-year old aunt, who has never camped before now plans to buy a Class A RV DM 30 footer and travel the back roads with her little lap dog! She has never driven an RV
with plans to attend a two-day, four-hour-per-day RV driving school course. Would appreciate advice from experienced campers especially women/men in their 70's who travel solo. Thanks,
I am in my 70’s and I say “You go girl!!” Gutsy move! I have a 21’ Winnebago TT and I go whenever and wherever I want to go with an Australian Shepherd and a cat!! She sounds like my kind of gal!!

Latest resources

Back