RV Length
43 ft
Chassis
Roadmaster RR10S
Engine
Cummins 400 ISL
TOW/TOAD
2010 Ext. Cab Silverado 4x4
Looking for a new way to get from IL to Florida other than I24 and I75. I hate Chattanooga and Atlanta. A friend of mine says he gets on 65 at Nashville and takes it to 231 and then comes out at Marianna Florida. Then takes 10 back to 75. Of course he's making the trip in a small suv.
Looks like it's 100 miles further but I'm willing to make that sacrifice in order to miss Monteagle, miss the rough roads in Chattanooga, and not have to time my trip perfectly to go through Atlanta on early Sunday morning.

Wondering about height clearance, truck stops, rest areas. 43 ft dp pulling an extended cab silverado 1500. Don't plan on stopping at any campgrounds, just rest areas and truck stops at least until I get into Florida. Will need to fill my 130 gallon fuel tank somewhere in there.

Just heard last week from some folks we know that took that route. Although he was pulling trailer he said no problem with our height @ 13’

We took that route last week. No problems and good roads.

When I head up to Newmar I try to skirt around mountains so I go up through Tallahassee and take 10 W and start heading north at the first signs to Dothan, AL. I hit 65 and take that N and finally hit 31 into the western side of IN to Nappanee. This keeps me west of the Appalachians. It's a nice drive.

231 is the road I turn off of I-10 onto and start my path north. It goes through Dothan and up to Montgomery. I then jump on I-65. I like this route. The first time heading north went the 75 to 24 and then the MontEagle route. 231/65 is much more tolerable.

Probably around 2011 we first took the I-57, I-24, I-65, US-231, I-10, I-75 route from Illinois to SW Florida. We have used it every since, even as FTers. Almost all the pavement is brand new on US-231 and it is a nice route. There are a handful of small towns to go through but I just stay at the speed limit and keep my engine brake on. Otherwise in the rural area of US-231 the speed limit is 65 if I recall correctly.

We generally stay in Dothan but if you are avoiding campground down in that area there are at least 3 rest areas on I-10 before you get to I-75.

As far as fuel, I generally don't fuel up on US-231. I hit a major truck stop between Nashville and Montgomery and then wait until I am down on I-10. Between Marianna and I-75 there will be at least 5 major truck stops.

Latest resources

Back