• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

vintshave

RVF Regular
Hi,

I'm new here. I have a 10 foot cargo trailer. It's one with a thin aluminum exterior and very thin panel walls. Every couple of feet, it's got these aluminum (steel?) beams that you see in the picture.

I want to install etrack on the walls: two 8' tracks on each side - so I can place cargo nets to hold merchandise securely. To distribute the load, I was thinking of screwing in wood 2x4 beams. The problem is that the wood on the walls is very thin. I don't even know what's between the wood and the outer skin. It could be air for all I know. That leaves, I think, screwing into the beams. Am I right? If I do that, how exactly do I do it? I can't get on the other side of those beams. They are right up against the trailer walls. I don't want to just screw in blindly.

Anyone have ideas on how to do this? What kind of screws or fasteners would I use since I can't get to the other side to install a nut.

inside 1.jpeg

Attachments

• top 1.jpeg
    top 1.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have a 20‘ cargo. My sidewalls are some kind of fiberglass/foam . Those beams are for roof only & stop at the top of the wall. I’ve seen cargos with “tracks” running the length of the wall on either side. Usually 1 a couple feet up from the floor & another maybe 4 - 5 ft up. And restraint straps can be attached anywhere along the tracks. On mine anything attached to the sidewall must be screwed thru the wall to the exterior using screws with washer type nuts on the outside. My walls can handle this as long as use enough screws to spread the load. if your beams don’t go all the way to the floor you’ll need to rely on the wood to provide the support. Lots of short wood screws !,

I don’t think my trailer construction is the same as yours. I can see a line of screws all the way down the wood where the beams are. When I knock on the wood under the beams, it feels solid.

you should be able to locate your metal studs and use self taping screws to fasten the etrack. I would also use 2-part epoxy if you are sure you will never be removing it.

When I did mine, I used self tapping 3/4" metal screws through the wood and into the metal studs. I used 1/2" wood screws in the remaining holes into the wood walls. I move rolling weight and I frequently move 800-900lbs one either side of the trailer with no problems

Latest resources

Back