Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

annietique

RVF Newbee
I am asking for any help with a device that can help with WiFi in campgrounds or better tv reception. Is there things or devices we do not know about? We have a standard antenna and can only depend on getting several TV channels or very poor WiFi in busy campgrounds. We are not new to RV-ing but each year our ability to get decent WiFi or tv channels gets worse. I am new to the forums and would welcome any responses to this post. Thank you

Welcome! You are really asking about two different devices. Since you didn't include any information about what type of RV you currently have, about the only suggestion I can think of for getting better "local" TV channels would be to possibly raise the height of your antenna.

If you are depending on different campgrounds free WiFi then about the only thing I can tell you is maybe try one of the extenders that is on the market. But again, you really aren't providing enough information. Do you travel, are you mostly stationary in one certain campground, etc? We have some pretty techy folks on here with some expert knowledge (I'm not one of them) but they will need additional info.

You need a Wifi Signal Booster, such as WifiRanger (www.wifiranger.com). Another choice would be the Wifi Camp Pro 2 by Alpha Networks. Both are available on Amazon.com too. I own both, currently using the Wifi Ranger that was pre-installed on my coach when I bought it. The Wifi Ranger pulls in weak Wifi signals at a campground and allows me to setup a secure Wifi "hotspot" inside my coach. I can also connect the Wifi Ranger to my iPhone for internet if there is no free Wifi available.

If you want info on the WifiRanger, (I have an older one that works great!), Home - WiFiRanger is a great source. DocJ on here is the local expert on them. For OTA TV, I had the original batwing antenna, upgraded it with a Wingman (Winegard Wingman HDTV). It did better than without, but then I purchased a King Jack RV antenna. It is a direct replacement. All you do is unscrew the coax, pull two pins, swap antennas, insert two pins and hook up the coax. Very simple install. Over-the-Air Antennas I have the one that is pictured in the lower left.

I am asking for any help with a device that can help with WiFi in campgrounds or better tv reception. Is there things or devices we do not know about? We have a standard antenna and can only depend on getting several TV channels or very poor WiFi in busy campgrounds. We are not new to RV-ing but each year our ability to get decent WiFi or tv channels gets worse. I am new to the forums and would welcome any responses to this post. Thank you

Although I might want to tell you that a WiFiRanger is the solution to all your WiFi problems, it is not. Quite often RV park WiFi systems are poorly designed and overloaded. In those cases investing in a WiFiRanger or other similar device won't improve your wifi performance. You may have a stronger connection to a poor system but that won't increase your speeds. WiFi systems are entirely digital; if a signal is sufficiently strong then making it stronger won't improve performance.

One way to tell if you're problem is due to signal strength or the overall performance of the WiFi is to wait until a time when the performance is poor and take your laptop over to the office or rec hall where you would expect the signal to be strong. If the performance doesn't improve when you do that, then it's most likely due to the system itself. In such cases the only alternative it to fall back onto your own cellular internet connections.

I am with DocJ on this. You tell us that every year performance gets worse, my assumption is you find this true at the same parks you visited in the past. That tells me the problem is bandwidth( your wifi provider just can't keep up with the demand).

I suspect what you really want is a better connection to the internet. WiFi is just one of the ways in which one can connect to the internet. As you have already discovered, the WiFi provided by RV parks is generally not very good.
I would suggest searching the internet for something like 'Internet RV options'. There are a variety of resources available. Mobile Internet Resource Center does a good job of explaining the basics. & what is available.
Welcome to the forum & good luck in you search.

We got pretty frustrated with the quality or lack of quality of the "free" wifi given at many rv parks. Went to the T-Mobile store a week or so ago and signed up for their 100gig per month for $50.00 plus tax we heard about from a rv forum. It is working perfectly and has allowed us to play on the on the internet again. As far as tv, we have a Winegard booster that seems to pull in over the air stations pretty well.

You need a Wifi Signal Booster, such as WifiRanger (www.wifiranger.com). Another choice would be the Wifi Camp Pro 2 by Alpha Networks. Both are available on Amazon.com too. I own both, currently using the Wifi Ranger that was pre-installed on my coach when I bought it. The Wifi Ranger pulls in weak Wifi signals at a campground and allows me to setup a secure Wifi "hotspot" inside my coach. I can also connect the Wifi Ranger to my iPhone for internet if there is no free Wifi available.
Can you explain to me how you connect your iphone to your WifiRainger. I have both but no idea how to do it :)

Latest resources

Back