Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Marianne

RVF Regular
To anyone in TEXAS…we are looking to purchase a motorhome that weighs over 26,001 pounds and with that we would need to upgrade our drivers licenses to a Class B Non CDL. A written test and then a road test is required. Since we want to be licensed before we drive out of the dealership the logistics are challenging. Does anyone know how we can find an RV over 26,000 lbs. to take the test in. We live in the Austin are, but we can travel to the Dallas area…or somewhere within 3-4 hours. We owned a Coachmen Lep, so we are seasoned RVers. We are willing to pay for the assistance. Thanks in advance.

@Marianne I can't help with where to get a vehicle for your driving test but I'm also in Texas and went through the Class B Non CDL process. In my case I bought my Coach in Alabama, drove it home and took a few other short trips while I was on the waiting list to take the driving test. I took my driving test at the South Dallas location. Although my approach did not adhere to the letter of the law I was not questioned or challenged by the TDOT about it. I suppose if I had been in an accident or other event during my non Class B timeframe there could have been an issue. In my view I was better prepared to demonstrate my driving skills since I had some experience driving my coach. I certainly would have been less confident if my first time driving a coach was the driving test.

I believe you can take the written test and get a learner's permit to get some driving experience in your new RV. I wouldn't recommend taking the test in an RV before having several miles of driving experience. You need to be able to back up and parallel park as part of the test.

Another suggestion is you can always rent one for several days to practice with and then test. It is usually several days to weeks between taking the written test and taking the driving part.

That’s what it may come down to. We would hate to do it that way, I’m thinking Murphy’s Law…getting into an accident while you don’t have the license scares me. we Have looked into RV rentals and they want you to rent for at least 3 days And RV dealers won’t help. I can’t understand the RV dealerships allowing people to test drive their vehicles, but not helping people who want to do the right thing.

The dealership will have insurance to cover customers test driving one of their units. Most dealerships will tell you you don't need any special license to drive a 45', 50,000# coach. Please understand that they don't want to tell you anything to give you a reason not to buy the coach.

I'll hazard a suggestion: take the Texas non-commercial Class B learners permit test first. Once you have the Permit you are legal to drive a Class A within the set parameters of the Permit. You are then free to Rent/Buy/borrow a suitable vehicle for the Driving portion of the exam.
As has been suggested previously in this thread, you will want to have experience in driving and operating whatever vehicle you take the Driving Test.

I believe you can take the written test and get a learner's permit to get some driving experience in your new RV. I wouldn't recommend taking the test in an RV before having several miles of driving experience. You need to be able to back up and parallel park as part of the test.
Yes, we are aware of the process with the test and learners permit.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back