• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ezza

RVF Regular
Hello all,

I'm new here, and also new to the fifth wheel life. My girlfriend and I have recently looked into purchasing a Jayco Eagle 319MLOK. We are wanting to put enough solar on it to never need to plug it in, I understand I'll need batteries, but curious what a sufficient amount of Panels, etc, would be?

Thanks in advance.

If this is the wrong section, I apologize.

Last edited:
Welcome @Ezza - great to have you with us. You'll need to determine your electrical demand, battery bank size, and then size solar for that. AMSolar.com is a great company I highly recommend.

50A and two ACs will make for a pretty big load. Like Neal said, figure out your load, size the inverters and go from there. Keep us informed as to what you decide and any installations you do.

So slight change of plans, may end up going with a Jayco North Point 377RLBH now. Have a meeting to speak with a tech at the dealer with all the above to figure out exactly what we'd need.

Thanks all so far =)

Just my opinion, but double check what the dealer tech says........

Of course, lol. Just from what I heard he was saying don’t overbuy on panels without having the proper room to store the energy. Will update y’all tomorrow though once I talk to him.

No RV yet? see your changing model numbers. First question of course is will you try using the A/C? If you are then solar is not going to do the Job. The roof is not big enough for those kind of installs. Are you planning off grid dispersed camping and that is the reason? Are you planning on full timing. Have you lived off grid before?

Just for the record I have been involved with solar from 2013 onward. I have done this while full timing and know how to sweat when it's hot because anything else would require the generator.

I tell people a couple of things, both fairly general but will repeat them again for you.

No installation could be called a solar installation with less than 500watts. For the record for a month last year I managed keeping things going on one 280watt panel, but that was in conservation (ration) mode. I was happy with 1250 watt install but still had to ration on cloudy days. Anything over this amount will increase the ability of your system.

I now have 2000 watts of solar, I keep 2 apartment size refrigerators going and a small freezer, but I run a generator if I use the A/C. I use an inductive hotplate, and an instant pot, sparingly.

I hope that is to much information.

No RV yet? see your changing model numbers. First question of course is will you try using the A/C? If you are then solar is not going to do the Job. The roof is not big enough for those kind of installs. Are you planning off grid dispersed camping and that is the reason? Are you planning on full timing. Have you lived off grid before?

Just for the record I have been involved with solar from 2013 onward. I have done this while full timing and know how to sweat when it's hot because anything else would require the generator.

I tell people a couple of things, both fairly general but will repeat them again for you.

No installation could be called a solar installation with less than 500watts. For the record for a month last year I managed keeping things going on one 280watt panel, but that was in conservation (ration) mode. I was happy with 1250 watt install but still had to ration on cloudy days. Anything over this amount will increase the ability of your system.

I now have 2000 watts of solar, I keep 2 apartment size refrigerators going and a small freezer, but I run a generator if I use the A/C. I use an inductive hotplate, and an instant pot, sparingly.

I hope that is to much information.
This is why I registered on here to ask, I would be using the A/C from time to time, I live in Arizona so gets a bit toasty here. Other than that it’s just the tv occasionally, and the fridge. Was trying to avoid the gas with the generator, but may look into a back up solar generator. Just so many questions. Appreciate your feedback.

This is why I registered on here to ask, I would be using the A/C from time to time, I live in Arizona so gets a bit toasty here. Other than that it’s just the tv occasionally, and the fridge. Was trying to avoid the gas with the generator, but may look into a back up solar generator. Just so many questions. Appreciate your feedback.
A solar generator is nothing more than an inverter, battery, and small panels. I too reside in AZ. My comfort comes by following the temperatures. From Yuma to sedona area, to flagstaff area to white mountains in the heat of summer then back down as the temps change. Daytime use of a 7000btu A/C can happen but not night time. If you try, your charge time will not catch up and you will be left with less power every day you do try.

So what part of AZ?

Kevin pointed out some very important facts regarding solar.

There are two approaches, in my opinion...

1) Go based on the Advice of respected RV specific solar installers. They routinely interview clients to find out what their needs are and have been refining these systems for years. They have a pretty good handle on what it possible...and tailor it to fit the clients needs.

2) Hold your horses a bit. First install a good Battery Monitoring device. Shunt sensed amperage in/out...like the Victron BMV-712 or Victron SmartShunt 500. Then go out and camp under similar conditions to your planned use. Zero out the amp-hr count...and see what the rig uses each 24 hr period. Take the high...and reverse engineer the solar system to meet these demands. The solar system in primarily a battery charger...but needs to be pair with a battery bank sufficient to meet the demands. The power of your solar needs to match the capability of your battery bank. No sense putting a 100A solar charger on a single 12v battery...and no sense putting a 10A solar charger on a 1000ah bank of Lithium batteries.

Since you're starting ground up...look into the benefits of Lithium...as well as their limitations (mostly temp related). Learn what Peukert effect is and how you get robbed with Flooded Lead Acid batteries vs AGM or Lithium while running high load items such as the Mircrowave.

Figure the solar output is NOT, I would say almost NEVER going to put out it's rated Wattage. The sun intensity (watts/meter sq.)_, the panel temperature, and panel angle to the sun...all have to be perfect. And perfect just doesn't happen that often. Some use an 80% factor and a good 5hrs of production each day to wind up hitting their desired mark.

The battery monitor will be an important component of your Solar and general power management system.. It's always a great place to start.

Take into consideration shading, lattitude, temperature, and weather patterns (clouds/rain)_...to best reflect your use.

As you plan...you will come up with more specific questions...and you can always bounce your intended component list against the crowd to get a feel for what they think... You'll get some great advice...and hopefully avoid a costly design mistake.

Latest resources

Back