Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tnedator

RVF Supporter
I'm thinking about doing some rewiring downstream of the cord reel in my Ventana. Currently the cord reel wires straight to transfer switch. I'm planning to instead, run wire from the cord reel about 6' to another bay and install a 50 amp outlet, which I can then plug my surge protector/EPO/etc., and if needed, and Autoformer. Then, I plan to run a 6' wire from the transfer switch to the same location as the new outlet, and there will be a 50 amp RV style plug on the end of it.

Allowing multiple configs, like:

1. Plugged straight into new outlet, mimics current wiring, which is reel wired directly to transfer switch. (new plug from transfer switch >> new outlet wired to cord reel)
2. Plug from transfer switch >> surge protector/EPO >> outlet wired to reel (now I have the surge protector before coach, but after cord
3. Plug transfer switch >> autoformer >> surge/EPO >> outlet wired to reel (now I have low voltage boost + surge protection).

There is simply no room in my electrical bay, so I'm thinking I need to run the two new wires through the wall of the electrical bay, through the top of the my Oasis bay, and into the full pass through on my Ventant. There, I would have the new 50 Amp outlet mounted and the wire/plug wired to my transfer switch hanging loose.

1. What type/size of wire I should use for what I describe above?
2. Should it be in conduit?
3. I believe the cord reel has a pigtail of sorts, that attaches to a post with a 3/8" or so nut. Can I buy a lengh of 50amp capable wire with the ends on to attach to a post like that, or do I need to create that somehow?

Thanks

For grins, please attach a picture of your cord reel bay. I'd like to see how it's currently arranged from Newmar.

Watching….as my compartment is also small…and I have the kit from Hughes to put it in the compartment. I planned on moving my reel all the way to the right to free up a few more inches to put my autoformer in there. Should be fun. Never thought about putting it in another compartment. Maybe in the space behind the reel department?

Oh thanks. You have given me an idea. I need to order a short extension cord, as I have a similar setup crammed into my electrical bay. I need to relieve tension on one of the cords.

5EEB8EFB-48CD-4028-BF6A-2F7937837771.jpeg

So, the transfer switch is plugged into the autoformer.
The autoformer is plugged into the Watchdog.
The Watch dog then plugs into a 50A extension cord, which plugs into the power pole.

I got the wiring kit from autoformer and removed Newmar’cablr
le and wired in the short cable and put the box end on the original power cable. Actually had Newmar do it. A bit above my pay grade.😎

The Watchdog cord on the right side is very strained, tothe point of pulling the the insulation out of the plug, if I am not careful. Another short extension cord (10 ft is the shortest I could find) could releive that tension.

By the way, with the setup I'm describing, if the reel ever goes south, if you carry a 50amp extension cord, you can simply bypass the reel completely and plug your extension cord into the pedestal, and then the cable I want to wire to the transfer switch (with a 50 amp male plug on it) into the extension cord.

Neil, I'm heading to Europe on Saturday for a week, but will try and swing by this afternoon or tomorrow and take a picture of the electrical bay.

Not the best angle, but the only one I've found online. You can get the sense of how tight it is.

1_2250_3299013_174252645.jpg

Mine looks a lot like that....

Looks like the same size as mine, you can make it work, just have to do some reorg. Not sure what that contraption is on the left lower, guessing it's an EMS? I have a progressive EMS in mine too, again, organize and it will work. My internal AutoFormer plug is upper right towards the door. It can all fit.

Looks like the same size as mine, you can make it work, just have to do some reorg. Not sure what that contraption is on the left lower, guessing it's an EMS? I have a progressive EMS in mine too, again, organize and it will work. My internal AutoFormer plug is upper right towards the door. It can all fit.
Thanks. I'll take another look and see what I can figure out.

I think mine has one more thing, which is a junction box, probably what they used to wire additional outlets.

On my left, I have the large black box, which is the transfer switch with integrated EMS (surgeguard). Then, there is the light, and I think it's a 110v outlet below that (white/cream colored thing I think), and I think between that and transfer switch I have a junction box. So, you put the autoformer more or less above where the reel power button is, along the right hand wall?

How do I mount on the wall, just screw into it? What size screws?

The AutoFormer is left of the reel, on the floor. The internal kit "plug" is upper right wall mounted. The progressive EMS I believe is aft of the AutoFormer. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but it's around here somewhere. Try searching the site for AutoFormer and you'll find it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back