Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We love our toad. It's quite old (10 years) but fairly low mileage for its age, and practical - they don't make this kind of car anymore.
But a certain plastic door, that hides the fuse compartment, and has a guide to the fuses, will no longer stay closed. I've been storing the cover in the glove compartment, but it takes up too much room.
The cover's hinges are intact and are evidently designed so that you can remove the cover and see the fuse chart. I don't know what could have possibly broken off so that doesn't stay closed.
Does anyone have any ideas to secure this? I thought of Velcro but that's not my favorite idea. Whatever I use, it will probably need to be screwed on, because most adhesives can't withstand our extreme summer temperatures.
The first picture is the compartment in the second picture is the inside of the door, and they are both oriented in the same direction. You can see remnants of adhesive where I used duct tape in the past. (I have much higher resolution photos if necessary, but I don't think it would help.)
1668604145344.jpeg
1668604176338.jpeg
1668604721373.jpeg

Attachments

• 1668604000453.jpeg
    1668604000453.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1668604029574.jpeg
    1668604029574.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1668604477755.jpeg
    1668604477755.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
I would suggest hitting up a hobby shop that has a heavy business in R/C airplanes. Many of them have small, rather powerful magnets to hold on cowls and access panels. They just might have a recomendation for an epoxy to glue things together with in your area, as well. After all, the R/C guys have to contend with the same weather.

Just one opinion.....Roger

i'm not sure what a cowl is, except in relation to the neckline 😆 but thanks for the idea I'll check Hobby lobby

Hard to tell exactly but if you drilled holes in that guide area in the dash and installed some pan head Philips screws in those little nubs on the cover so they would engage into the drilled holes? would that be tight enough?

From your description it seems like the plastic attachment points are just worn out. A new cover would be the fix. Here’s just one example - I found many. OEM 2010-12 Subaru Dash Fuse Box Door Lid Black Outback Legacy NEW 66135AJ00AVH | eBay

It may not be the exact one but 66135 seems to be the beginning of the part number for a lot of them over several years and in several colors. Do a search on your exact part number and you’ll find one.

These might be it or closer
OEM Subaru Fuse Box Lid Cover -Forester Impreza Crosstrek 2013-2016 66135FJ010VH | eBay

From your description it seems like the plastic attachment points are just worn out. A new cover would be the fix. Here’s just one example - I found many. OEM 2010-12 Subaru Dash Fuse Box Door Lid Black Outback Legacy NEW 66135AJ00AVH | eBay

It may not be the exact one but 66135 seems to be the beginning of the part number for a lot of them over several years and in several colors. Do a search on your exact part number and you’ll find one.

These might be it or closer
OEM Subaru Fuse Box Lid Cover -Forester Impreza Crosstrek 2013-2016 66135FJ010VH | eBay
Wow! I'm gonna try this first. Thanks!

Hard to tell exactly but if you drilled holes in that guide area in the dash and installed some pan head Philips screws in those little nubs on the cover so they would engage into the drilled holes? would that be tight enough?
I think I get what you're describing and that is a terrific idea. I'll try that if the new cover doesn't work out.

I think I get what you're describing and that is a terrific idea. I'll try that if the new cover doesn't work out.
Its possible that the problem is with the molded part of the catch in the dash but it will be cheap to find out before trying other methods. Did you find one for sale with your exact part number?

We love our toad. It's quite old (10 years) but fairly low mileage for its age, and practical - they don't make this kind of car anymore.
But a certain plastic door, that hides the fuse compartment, and has a guide to the fuses, will no longer stay closed. I've been storing the cover in the glove compartment, but it takes up too much room.
The cover's hinges are intact and are evidently designed so that you can remove the cover and see the fuse chart. I don't know what could have possibly broken off so that doesn't stay closed.
Does anyone have any ideas to secure this? I thought of Velcro but that's not my favorite idea. Whatever I use, it will probably need to be screwed on, because most adhesives can't withstand our extreme summer temperatures.
The first picture is the compartment in the second picture is the inside of the door, and they are both oriented in the same direction. You can see remnants of adhesive where I used duct tape in the past. (I have much higher resolution photos if necessary, but I don't think it would help.)
View attachment 15712View attachment 15713View attachment 15715
View attachment 15712View attachment 15713View attachment 15715
A small clip that turns, is what is used on the cover for the propane valve. Can be mounted with a screw.

Attachments

• 75262566-1354-4036-AB9E-4FF4481EE50D.jpeg
    75262566-1354-4036-AB9E-4FF4481EE50D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
Its possible that the problem is with the molded part of the catch in the dash but it will be cheap to find out before trying other methods. Did you find one for sale with your exact part number?
I found one that looks exactly like the original, dunno if it's same part #. If it doesn't fit, I'll try the 'bumper' idea, and if that doesn't work, I'll head to Hobby Lobby.

Latest resources

Back