Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Louisfarm

RVF Regular
My Safari Simba was working with 50 amp service and inverting 50 amps using a renogy 3000 watt inverter or shore connection of 50 amp. Mechanic put in a 30 amp inverter (ms2012 Magna) and resticted the shore power to 30 amps. What do i need to get it back to 50 amp?

Welcome to RVF, @Louisfarm; glad to have you here. It sounds like your previous 50A inverter failed and was replaced with a 30A unit. Is that correct?

Restoring 50A capability will likely require replacing the 30A unit with one rated for 50A. Was there some reason why the 30A unit was installed? Usually, a replacement unit is rated for the same capacity as the one it replaces.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @Louisfarm; glad to have you here. It sounds like your previous 50A inverter failed and was replaced with a 30A unit. Is that correct?

Restoring 50A capability will likely require replacing the 30A unit with one rated for 50A. Was there some reason why the 30A unit was installed? Usually, a replacement unit is rated for the same capacity as the one it replaces.

TJ
Great question and i wish i had a good answer. The process started because i had some electrical issues using the inverter. The mechanic from Michigan indicated that he has not worked with inverter power in the past. However, he was recommended buy a repair facility that had always done a great job for me, so i went with him. He didn't tell me of the 30 amp only until he was done and i came to pick it up. We live invthe rv during the summer months and we needed to get back in our home so i though we could work around it but it's been very inconvenient, especially for my wife. I hope this background explanation provides some insight.

Also, why won't shore power and generator power only provide 30amps.
I had thought those power sources by passed the inverter!

Unfortunately, I think you need to find another RV tech that is familiar with inverters and have a proper 50A unit installed. It is probably too late to return the 30A unit or ask for a refund from the original installer. That's too bad; I don't like the fact that you will probably wind up paying for this job twice.

I don't fully understand the question regarding "...why won't shore power and generator power only provide 30amps." Is the shore power (park pedestal connection) rated for 50A? Same question regarding the generator; what is the rated output? The inverter simply changes 120V AC power to 12V DC power. If the AC input from either source is less than 50A, "you can't get there from here" as the old saying goes.

Good luck.

TJ

My Safari Simba was working with 50 amp service and inverting 50 amps using a renogy 3000 watt inverter or shore connection of 50 amp. Mechanic put in a 30 amp inverter (ms2012 Magna) and resticted the shore power to 30 amps. What do i need to get it back to 50 amp?

We really need to know your wiring architecture. For example...my coach is 50A and uses a 30A input to the inverter (MS2812)

Shore power cord (50A) >>>>>> 50A surge protector >>>> transfer switch.
Generator >>>>>>>>transfer switch.

Transfer switch takes one (generator priority) >>>>>>>>Precision Circuits Load Center.

Precision Circuits load center is divided into two buses...a MAIN...and an Inverter.

The main bus gets it’s input from the transfer switch and is protected by a pair of 50A breakers. The main bus has branch breakers for air conditioners, washer, dryer, water heater element, block heater, and a 30A branch supplying the MS2812 Inverter.

Output from the inverter comes back to the panel and feeds the Inverter bus thru a 30A breaker. The smaller Inverter bus has branch circuits for kitchen outlets, residential fridge, microwave, entertainment system outlets, etc...

Using the Inverter you have now...the above architecture should work. The power cord, and transfer switch wiring will have to be upgraded to #6 (50A ampacity) vs #10 (30A ampacity).

We really need to know your wiring architecture. For example...my coach is 50A and uses a 30A input to the inverter (MS2812)

Shore power cord (50A) >>>>>> 50A surge protector >>>> transfer switch.
Generator >>>>>>>>transfer switch.

Transfer switch takes one (generator priority) >>>>>>>>Precision Circuits Load Center.

Precision Circuits load center is divided into two buses...a MAIN...and an Inverter.

The main bus gets it’s input from the transfer switch and is protected by a pair of 50A breakers. The main bus has branch breakers for air conditioners, washer, dryer, water heater element, block heater, and a 30A branch supplying the MS2812 Inverter.

Output from the inverter comes back to the panel and feeds the Inverter bus thru a 30A breaker. The smaller Inverter bus has branch circuits for kitchen outlets, residential fridge, microwave, entertainment system outlets, etc...

Using the Inverter you have now...the above architecture should work. The power cord, and transfer switch wiring will have to be upgraded to #6 (50A ampacity) vs #10 (30A ampacity).
First of all, thanks for the thorough and clear explanation. The way it was wired to the main bus is the shore & generator power coming from the transfer switch goes into a 50 amp double pole breaker and has a 30 amp breaker (not shown in picture) feeding back to the 30 amp inverter on #10 wire, (2) 20 amp breakers for front and back A/C, hot water heater and vacuum in basement. At this point I'm wondering how the refrigerator, microwave and plugs throughout the unit are being supplied with power (no breakers feeding them from main bus)?
The second bus in supplied by a 30 amp #10 wire from inverter directly into the 30 amp bar (no breaker). This feeds the microwave, bathroom and front galley plugs and an undetermined wire (?). By the way, under inverter power we still have refrigerator available. How is that possible?

Under shore and inverter power, amps need to be managed closely so we don't have issues.

Concluding that we use #6 wire instead of #10 wire and put a 30amp breaker in the 2nd bus should do it!
Pictures: First, main bus; second, 2nd bus; third, fourth and fifth, is located in battery bank area and feed directly from the batteries. You will notice that the bottom 3 connections are for 30 amp power and nothing connected to the 50 amp converter (what is this about and is there a need to change things in here).

I'm not sure if I've covered everything so let me know if I need to dig around for anything else. Sorry it took so long to get back to you all but had some personal issue to attend to.

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_103229627.jpg
    IMG_20201017_103229627.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201017_103348281.jpg
    IMG_20201017_103348281.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201027_165218120.jpg
    IMG_20201027_165218120.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201029_140749730.jpg
    IMG_20201029_140749730.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201027_165035523.jpg
    IMG_20201027_165035523.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
I would trip the breakers on the second panel one at a time to see if one of those are powering the fridge. If no joy...then you may have a smaller dedicated inverter running the refrigerator.

Ours is same...except housed in one panel...main circuits on the left, inverter circuits on the right. You have two separate panels accomplishing the same thing.

The 50’s on the far left feed the main ac branch circuits. The 30 on the far right is where the inverter output is feeding into the rail to power the inverter branch circuits. The 30A at position 7 labeled Inverter...is the main ac power which goes to the inverter (MS2812) to run the built in battery charger ( in lieu of a separate converter) and can also pass thru...to the inverters output, saving the inverter from having to manufacture AC power when it is already available from Shore/Generator off the main ac bus.

32BF9569-DE05-42DB-8526-8ED69683A33A.jpeg

Ive gone through and changed any 10 g wiring to 6 g. The shore power is 50 amp and the main panel is being supplied with 120 v on both legs. However, the coach display panel is only showing 30 amps available. Why is it not recognizing the 50 amps

Latest resources

Back