Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

SJBaily

RVF Regular
Just bought a 2014 Tundra. Tows up to 10,000 pounds. Going to rent a travel trailer before we buy. We will be in the 24 to 29 foot range. We don't have the hitch/ball/weight distribution/swaybar thing yet. Sorry about my lack of correct terminology-- I'm a newbie! Looking at a CURT on Amazon for $286 #17062 and #17022. 17022 Honestly, I cannot even tell the difference between the two except for about $4. Can someone tell me if this is good and in the price range for what we should be spending? Is this the Cadillac or the VW bug of hitches. And why is it $200 more on the CURT site?

Any info much appreciated. THANKS in advance.

Okay…..what you need to know is the tongue weight of the travel trailer you will be towing to get an idea of a HWD setup. As to the so-called Cadillac of HWD, nope. You will spend about $1800+ for a subjective HWD that is best or purported by RV’ers.

I have a Recurve6 which works just fine for my setup. As I recall maybe $600 for the setup installed.

Also, once you get the TT tongue weight (actual) plus any weight you put in your truck subtract that from your trucks payload which is way more important to fall within.

It is not hard to get to these numbers, you just need to know them to calculate out if you are towing within the safe area with some budge room.

So we can't buy the hitch until we buy the trailer, it sounds like. But we were just going to rent travel trailers to try until we're ready to buy, just a couple nights here and there. Don't people get a decent hitch so they can do that or do the rentals come with the hitch? Or maybe we just need a ball???

Thanks Germanrazor. So when you say installed, do you mean this isn't something we just hook on when we're ready to go? THanks. Sorry to be a newbie.

So we can't buy the hitch until we buy the trailer, it sounds like. But we were just going to rent travel trailers to try until we're ready to buy, just a couple nights here and there. Don't people get a decent hitch so they can do that or do the rentals come with the hitch? Or maybe we just need a ball???
You can but the deal with a WDH setup is, it is setup specifically for your tow vehicle and trailer. Each truck will have different measurements that could affect the ability to do its job properly. Do people interchange all day long without going through the setup, yippers! But I would want mine to be specific to my trailer.

Thanks Germanrazor. So when you say installed, do you mean this isn't something we just hook on when we're ready to go? THanks. Sorry to be a newbie.
I would highly suggest going to YouTube and just watching a generic WDH setup to see someone install one so you get the idea. Can you do it? Yes. If I were new to this I would get it done professionally or find someone you know has done it and knows what they are doing to assist you.

So anything we rent on Outdoorsy or RV Share will have it. Do we need the ball? I cannot find that answer. Or more than one size ball?

Germanrazor, yes, my gentleman is doing that, but we won't have a trailer of our own this year. Just rentals and the season is nearly over anyway.

Here is a video on install of a WDH…..

Latest resources

Back