Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

GrandmaBeckie

RVF Regular
I can't seem to get a straight answer on how much weight my Dodge Journey can safely pull. It's a 2017 SLT AWD. GVW is 5600 lbs but what does tht really mean in terms of what kind of camper to look for? OR... should I go with a class C and find something that's big enough to pull the dodge behind it? As you can see, I'm obviously just starting my research and I would love to her from anyone who has this particular knowledge set. Thanks!!

As I did, take your VIN number to the Dodge dealer and they can look up the specifics on the vehicle. No need to guess or get opinions from others.

As I did, take your VIN number to the Dodge dealer and they can look up the specifics on the vehicle. No need to guess or get opinions from others.
Funny you should mention that; I did indeed go to my Dodge dealer before throwing out this question. Several of them in fact. The answers I got ranged from 1000 to 2,500 lbs. I was hoping someone here would have already had experience with towing and could give me a better idea of what I'm working with. Thanks, Bob!

In your opening comment you mentioned buying a Class C and towing the Journey was an option. Just my opinion but towing anything with a V6 will be a real struggle. Towing involves more that just pulling the weight. It also involves stopping, stability in winds and hills, capacity for hitch weight and overall wear and tear on the vehicle.
Holler if we can help.
Ken

I use this site for original equipment information. Scroll down on this site and enter vin.

Towing Guide | Towing Calculator
Thank you so much! That was extremely helpful! So now my question is how do I calculate what I can carry in terms of equipment? I'm planning to go VERY basic, buying a solar generator and I already have some propane tanks from other uses around the house. Plus clothes and kitchen, if I stash most of these things inside the Dodge (except the propane of course), doesn't that add to the GVW? I understand the concept of putting weight over the axle in the back of the car, but does that impact the pulling weight? I don't want to blow my transmission up going over a sandhill. :eek:

In your opening comment you mentioned buying a Class C and towing the Journey was an option. Just my opinion but towing anything with a V6 will be a real struggle. Towing involves more that just pulling the weight. It also involves stopping, stability in winds and hills, capacity for hitch weight and overall wear and tear on the vehicle.
Holler if we can help.
Ken
Thanks, Ken. I have had the same thoughts. I'm currently doing all my research but it's looking as though I may want to start with a small tow and hopefully the prices for a good used truck will come down to an affordable point at which time I can get something a little "meatier". I have 2 years to go before deciding to live on the road full time or just keep the house and camp as much as possible. All of this info helps!

Thanks, Ken. I have had the same thoughts. I'm currently doing all my research but it's looking as though I may want to start with a small tow and hopefully the prices for a good used truck will come down to an affordable point at which time I can get something a little "meatier". I have 2 years to go before deciding to live on the road full time or just keep the house and camp as much as possible. All of this info helps!
Sorry, just had a brain-fart. So when you talk about hitch weight, how will that influence the purchasing decision of what to tow? I had a hitch installed on my vehicle, didn't come as part of the package, is there a sticker or stamped info that tells me that info? Also, should I install a fan on my transmission? The vehicle we had for the truck camper was a FordF350 with full towing package. I remember we had a fan on the transmission that would kick on pretty often when we were up in Wyoming, going uphill. We had an old 70s Coachman truck camper that probably weighed around 3K lbs, plus a trailer towing our motorcycles and tools. Obviously I'm not going for a rig that size (yet) but I don't want to blow my transmission out in the middle of nowhere. :sneaky:

Funny you should mention that; I did indeed go to my Dodge dealer before throwing out this question. Several of them in fact. The answers I got ranged from 1000 to 2,500 lbs. I was hoping someone here would have already had experience with towing and could give me a better idea of what I'm working with. Thanks, Bob!
Those numbers are cargo weight and not the weight of the trailer. There should be a placard on the driver-side door or frame that indicates the cargo weight. Cargo weight includes passengers, fuel, trailer tongue weight, and any other stuff you put in the vehicle.

The towing rating is what the vehicle can safely pull and STOP. The dealer, with the VIN number, can look up the data for that specific vehicle. Thus it is "not what someone said."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back