Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Malystryx

RVF Regular
I just bought a 1983 Aljo Aly travel trailer for my cabin. I think that's a skyline. It's a 30 foot I think. Well I bought it from a pawn shop for 2500 and have about 3 weeks to get it out of their lot. The issue is i dont think i have the right truck to tow it with and i need help even getting started. I was told that is not a regular hitch, that it needs a weight redistribution hitch? are there different size weight redistribution hitchs? and if so how do i know which one i need? what about the truck? do i need a f150 or a powerful truck like that? how much does this trailer weigh i cant seem to find any information on its weight. I am trying to take it to my cabin which is about a 2 and a half hour drive and once i get it there it will stay up there the problem is getting it there, i thought i could just hook it up and go can anyone help
186449114_1654328191427306_3585408682175710292_n.jpg

What will happen if the truck is not strong enough to tow it or it isnt the right size?? what sort of things can happen or go wrong ?

congrats on the purchase!!!

As I understand your post you have land? If you go to an RV park you will likely find someone that would move it for you for less than installing a hitch. go to the office and let them know what you need. You can also go to an RV sales lot with the same question.

congrats on the purchase!!!

As I understand your post you have land? If you go to an RV park you will likely find someone that would move it for you for less than installing a hitch. go to the office and let them know what you need. You can also go to an RV sales lot with the same question.
Yes i have a cabin on 12 acres of land, about 2 and a half hours away. There are no rv parks near me, my camper is sitting in the parking lot of a pawn shop at the moment. I dont think someone would be willing to drive it 2 and a half hours for free.

I did some research and i think i need a class 3 hitch with a weight redistribution thing to prevent sway but i dk???

I was hoping someone help me get an idea of how much this camper weighs on average because i have no way to find out, or if you can give me any advice by looking at the hitch on the camper and telling me what im looking at

If you are only moving it once for such a short distance and don't plan to travel with it you really should find someone in your area with a big pickup that you could pay to move it for you. Judging by the size, 30' is probably 4,500+ empty, I would say you definitely need at least a 1/2 ton truck and that might be a bit on the light side, but it is a short haul. By the time you buy a a hitch, you are going to be invested more that the cost of just paying someone to move it for you.

Last edited:
Visit the nearby RV dealers and ask for referrals. You need a minimum of an F150 class truck, you need a working trailer taillight system and a braking system for the trailer. You're going to end up with several hundred if not over a thousand dollars for a possible one-time use. Just out of curiosity, have you checked the date code of the tires? If they are older than 5-6 years they should be replaced before you tow it very far. Just because the tires have good tread doesn't mean they are good to drive on. Carry a spare tire, correct size lug nut wrench, and a jack for the trailer.

yeah im thinking about just posting on my local community facebook page and offer someone like 300 to pull it for me. im sure i made a common rookie mistake here buying the trailer so quickly, i didnt realize all that goes in to towing a big trailer!!! as for the tires yes the pawn shop guy said that the people had just put new tires on it so they should be fine . this is starting to be more stress than its worth

The pawnshop guy was trying to sell you a trailer, verify the date codes. I don't think you're going to find someone for $300. When you say a 2 ½ hour drive, is that driving a car at posted speed limits? If so, you can most likely add 45-60 minutes to that towing. $750-1000 might get you some interested drivers.

Latest resources

Back