Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 360
TOW/TOAD
Honda Fit
Fulltimer
No
I've been chasing this slide out issue for four years. The problem is the Kitchen slide on my 2017 Ventana 3412 starts to retract and then stops as it tries to climb up onto the floor. I'm told, this is because the slide controller is detecting too much of a power draw and is "amping out" to protect the motor. If I push on the slide while my wife operates the slide control, we can get it, "over the hump" and it goes in. Sometimes it takes two people pushing.

I've had it serviced twice at Midway RV in Grand Rapids and twice at the Nappanee service center. The slide controller has been replaced and the floor under the refrigerator has been reenforced because it was sagging slightly. After repairs, it works, only to fail after a few months.

It feels like the slide is not getting enough power but that's only my perception. I have no evidence to indicate power is the issue. I replaced my house batteries two years ago. The problem existed before replacing the batteries. I've also made an effort to keep the slide screws lubricated and the wall seals cleaned and lubricated with the appropriate spray.

I'm scheduled to go back yet again in April to Nappanee.

Curious if anyone else has had a similar recurring problem.

Have all electrical connections been replaced? Circuit breaker replaced? Maybe run temporary wiring to eliminate a damaged wire.

I've been chasing this slide out issue for four years. The problem is the Kitchen slide on my 2017 Ventana 3412 starts to retract and then stops as it tries to climb up onto the floor. I'm told, this is because the slide controller is detecting too much of a power draw and is "amping out" to protect the motor. If I push on the slide while my wife operates the slide control, we can get it, "over the hump" and it goes in. Sometimes it takes two people pushing.

I have a 2015 Ventana - guessing it is much the same as yours. Had very similar problems with very similar results. My wife would hold the button and I'd push the slide . Always felt like more juice was needed to get it to climb the hump.

First fix was to replace the original controller with a newer controller (Rev C). This worked for a while but then reverted back to the same old problems.

During a 2 day visit to NIRVC Atlanta they contacted controller manufacturer and learned the controller has 2 settings determined by the position of a jumper in the lower right corner of the controller (red arrow in the pic).

[I was surprised no one at the dealer or at HQ had known or thought of this earlier.]

There are three pins - put the jumper on the left and center pins, leave the right pin (blue arrow) open. This provides increased amperage to climb the hump. Has worked for five years.

Attachments

• A0F9E5FB-9545-4DEB-8F63-61BB994F7DFD_1_201_a.jpeg
    A0F9E5FB-9545-4DEB-8F63-61BB994F7DFD_1_201_a.jpeg
    780 KB · Views: 86
@BigFunBus Awesome feedback! I believe I have the revision C controller. Will check the jumpers.

Weather is better so I looked into my slide issue again. Recently replaced my chassis batteries because they were old and dying. And guess what? Now the slide works just fine. The slides work off the house batteries, which are only 1.5 years old, but somehow the chassis batteries were creating an issue.

Well, the new chassis batteries helped but after a while the slide went back to its old behavior.

Today, I'm back at Camp Newmar to deal with my slide issue again. To recap, my kitchen slide won't retract without me pushing on it while someone else operates the slide from inside.

The tech's here at Newmar added an additional roller under the refrigerator. This augments the steel plate they added the last time.

Last night, I extended and retracted the slide several times like a kid playing with a new toy. Fingers crossed, I think the additional roller is solution.

Well, the new chassis batteries helped but after a while the slide went back to its old behavior.

Today, I'm back at Camp Newmar to deal with my slide issue again. To recap, my kitchen slide won't retract without me pushing on it while someone else operates the slide from inside.

The tech's here at Newmar added an additional roller under the refrigerator. This augments the steel plate they added the last time.

Last night, I extended and retracted the slide several times like a kid playing with a new toy. Fingers crossed, I think the additional roller is solution.
I have a few questions regarding this issue! But to get a relevant response, I will try to explain my logic!

When the slide was installed we know nothing was in the cabinets, or fridge. When you have your rig serviced do you have your rig loaded the same way as when you travel?

As I see it, you add a couple hundred pounds in that slide, that is not present when you have it serviced! Can you see where I'm going with this? If not, understand that everything flexes when weight is added.

Your slide should not have to climb anything!!! The power level control stops the slide so that you can clear anything in the way. You know like a human body??? Or other object you didn't catch before activating the slide. You might think of your garage door, that stops before it crushes your pet, or child.

Sorry for being so graphic, such issues become part of system design. I know some really capable mechanically inclined people that hate reading. These people often do a better job on the floor than an engineer can, but there is a balancing act that needs more attention in the world today!!!

So the question: will you empty your slide of it's contents and tell me if your slide needs to climb anything???

They do have to “climb” - at least two of our three do.

They are flush floors when out so coming in they come up a ramp and going out they go down the same ramp as part of the design

I've had it serviced twice at Midway RV in Grand Rapids and twice at the Nappanee service center. The slide controller has been replaced and the floor under the refrigerator has been reenforced because it was sagging slightly. After repairs, it works, only to fail after a few months.

It feels like the slide is not getting enough power but that's only my perception. I have no evidence to indicate power is the issue. I replaced my house batteries two years ago. The problem existed before replacing the batteries. I've also made an effort to keep the slide screws lubricated and the wall seals cleaned and lubricated with the appropriate spray.

I'm scheduled to go back yet again in April to Nappanee.

Curious if anyone else has had a similar recurring problem.
I had the same problem with the same slide in my 2016 3427 and it was resolved with a new (updated version) controller provided by Newmar in 2021. When was the last controller replacement done?

I had the same problem with the same slide in my 2016 3427 and it was resolved with a new (updated version) controller provided by Newmar in 2021. When was the last controller replacement done?
I have the newest controller as of a year ago.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back