Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RV Travel Vibes

RVF Newbee
When looking at some build options, there is usually add-ons for upgraded axles - 7K or 8K with disc brakes. What would be a reason you’d want to spend that extra? Would the trailer not have properly rated axles.

Welcome to the group. I would look close at the axle rating and compare to the combined weight of the rig with cargo. Use that to help make my decision. We no longer have a fifth, tires were our issue. Look at the eating on the tire x the number of tires and where you are on total weight. Often the tires will be close or under total weight of the rig. We stepped up from an E tire to G on a recommendation from another RVer and never had another problem. I was never concerned with axles two 7500 lb took care of use. We were under that total weight. To me tires are the bigger issue.

Disc brakes would be great, especially on a heavy rig like a Mobile Suites or Luxe. When I had the 5th wheel disc brake conversions were a huge topic of conversation on the Montana forum. Lots of people laid out lots of money for them.
Axles, well you know that most manufacturers are only going to put the minimum on. Definitely take @John&Andrea advice about upping your tire rating, they'll also be at the minimum.

When looking at some build options, there is usually add-ons for upgraded axles - 7K or 8K with disc brakes. What would be a reason you’d want to spend that extra? Would the trailer not have properly rated axles.
There are videos where someone would put a camera in the 5er and record a trip then had the conversion to disc and independent suspension and the camera showed it being a lot smoother traveling down the same route. RV get shaken to pieces going down the road and making them a little smoother helps. Also, remember the drum brakes of the past were not the best, especially in the rain.

Latest resources

Back