RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
GD Reflection
RV Model
303RLS
RV Length
Hey folks, we are new to the forums.
Recently purchased our first 5er, looking for all that good newbie information.
we are starting on our adventures, and open to all suggestions and advice.

My first two questions are:

Soft start for A/C? Benefits and not.....
Generator for a 5er? Or just a honking battery bank and a couple of panels?

We are pulling a 32' with a ford Super Duty diesel with trailer package etc.

So let the comments fly! Glad to be here, I think.....

Welcome!
A/C softstart will lower the size of the generator needed to start it.

Both gen and solar. it is unrealistic to plan running a/c on solar. When the a/c is not being used silence is golden.

a battery bank is only as good as the charging system. need enough solar to handle the load you plan on putting on the system.

Welcome!
A/C softstart will lower the size of the generator needed to start it.

Both gen and solar. it is unrealistic to plan running a/c on solar. When the a/c is not being used silence is golden.

a battery bank is only as good as the charging system. need enough solar to handle the load you plan on putting on the system.

1) Any idea on how much less amperage surge a Soft Start will require?
2) I agree that a generator is a good idea, just thought I might be able to find a way combining truck, solar and battery bank, eliminating one more expense.
3) Also agree on the solar sizing. That's a toughy. I am noodling the numbers and trying to get a good "sweet spot" estimate based on use in the unit, and likely production from the panels. Then of course 12, 24, or 48V battery bank? High performance panels can give 48 V, and the inverters/chargers are cheaper per watt. Lots to think about.

BTW,
I forgot to say thanks for the reply.

I would suggest keeping it simple to start. Certainly would consider getting a generator if you plan on boondocking a lot. Beyond that and making sure you have a good set of batteries I would get out there and start enjoying it. Once you use it a bit you will gain experience on how things will work and your needs going forward. Then you can add what you feel is needed based on your usage.

question one. no idea, a motor can require as much as 10 times running name plate power to start. The soft start can help with that.
question three. The time here is 7:40 the panel output is around 300w from 1000w of solar tilted at roughly 15 deg. Flat they would not be producing half what they are right now. On my rig I see no way to increase the solar from this point or I would. The A/C is coming off the roof opting for a modern window shaker(already installed). That should allow another 500w on the roof. Some people have opted to install inverter split A/C units that run much more quietly and start 8000btu with a 2000i honda. If you will notice the difference between installed solar and gen size you might wonder how I could run the A/C on solar. Truth is I can't.

Oh ya! almost forgot My solar is 24v The reason is quite simple. RV roofs have a bunch of stuff on them. Higher voltages would require panels being hooked in series and one cell shaded can bring down the string, think Christmas lights. same goes with batteries and solar cells. House panels have high enough voltages for 24v without stringing them together. I have enough battery that I could connect them in any of the above voltage configurations but won't. I use a controller per panel string that can't be shaded so if one panel gets shaded I still have the other panel feeding the bank.

Welcome to RVF, @Williams&Williams; glad to have you here with us.

Soft-start will reduce your AC starting amperage by about 70%. A single 15K BTU AC can draw up to about 50A on startup; with SS, that will be reduced to about 15A. The unit will draw 13-14A when running (after start). If you are on a generator or solar/inverter system, that's huge.

TJ

hey @TJ&LadyDi Are you talking about VFD units to get those numbers or capacitor method of starting?

Latest resources

Back