Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jmbarnes65

RVF Newbee
We purchased a used 2007 Tiffin Alegro Bay gas burner with 56K miles from a private seller. The rig was one owner and was garage kept for its entire life. My main concern prior to purchase is that it had not been driven or used for 3 years. Just took it to a mechanic who gave me the following feedback:
  • Tires need replacing; OEM are Michelin 235-80-225; recommends replacing/downsizing to 245-75-225 --- $3,778
  • Steering Gear Arm on left side needs replacing ---- $2,515
  • Rear Brakes (pads, rotors, etc.) need replacing ---- $1,500
Does this seem reasonable? I was shocked that replacing the tires were that expensive.

How many tires? Not being driven for three years, you do want to replace them. Dry rot probably the main thing. We have a 38 ft. 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. When we bought it 7 years ago, it had 25,000 miles on it. One owner, kept inside. Had to replace all eight tires, new shocks and new brakes. We had one of our inside duallys blow apart in Montana. Call around for prices (which you probably have done already) Good luck.

235’s are a Michelin size, so as the mechanic has suggested, many owners go to the 245’s. The difference is very minor.
If you want the details, enter the two tire sizes at Tire Size Comparison

EDIT: I just saw that a member on this forum has six new Toyo 245’s for sale

motorhome tires shows similar pricing to your mechanic, but I’d bet you can get better pricing locally.
click on the link below to see motorhometires pricing

Last edited:
235’s are a Michelin size, so as the mechanic has suggested, many owners go to the 245’s. The difference is very minor.
If you want the details, enter the two tire sizes at Tire Size Comparison
That tire size comparison tool does not work for Commercial size tires. (No 22.5" tires)

That tire size comparison tool does not work for Commercial size tires. (No 22.5" tires)
Sure it does. It doesn’t display specific tires, but the comparison tool works fine.

Last edited:
You don't have to go with Michelin's. Toyo and Sumitomo have the same ratings at half the price.

That list is not particularly surprising to me, especially the tires. Your tires are the only thing that keep you on the road and they carry a ridiculous amount of weight at very high speeds, they ain’t gonna be cheap. If they are, you are not getting what you think you’re getting.

the good thing about motorhome tires is that other than damage incurred from road debris or hazards, they generally age out before they wear out, unlike standard passenger vehicle tires. So as long as they don’t incur damage, they should last you at least 5 years before you start nearing replacement age.

the cost for pads and rotors strikes me as a good deal unless that is a per-wheel cost. I remember being quoted $1,100 by a dealer a few years back for pads and rotors on my VW Jetta. I laughed all the way to AutoZone where I bought the parts did it myself for $250

That sounds way high for the tires as I assume you only need 6.

I just bought 8 295/80/22.5 for $4300 including mounting and balancing. And I bought a bigger tire.

I had the Sumitomo tires (19.5) for 7 years. No problems, just aged out. Bought new Michelins and had the new (and better) beads installed. My old max speed was 64 mph due to vibration and feel. Now I drive 70 mph and can feel the road better and a very smooth ride. Should have bought Michelins the first time. Good look with what ever you do and enjoy the time traveling.

Latest resources

Back