Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Linebacker

RVF Newbee
My wife and I are active empty nesters and are deciding between an affordable Class C or buying a half-ton and travel trailer. We're leaning towards the truck + TT. Anyway, we moved to South Jersey and will take frequent trips to Louisville KY. We're looking to drive into Pennsylvania, Maryland and New York to camp in campgrounds and boondocks, alike. We also found Harvest Host (I think that's what it's called) where you can stay overnight at wineries, museums, etc on a boondock basis. We moved to NJ for work and have really no friends to do things with. Hoping that camping will give us this opportunity.
Anyway, as we we used to say in Kentucky, 'Hey, Y'all' (the Texas version in 'All Y'all')

Welcome to RVForums @Linebacker. RVing is a great experience and it sounds like you know what you want. Enjoy the journey and welcome to the site full of super friendly RVers.

Welcome to RVF, @Linebacker; glad to have you here. Sounds like you have some interesting plans for the future.

Just a suggestion; if you do go with the truck/trailer option, take a serious look at a 3/4-ton tow vehicle. You will be pretty limited in your trailer size choices with the half-ton. Stay well within the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) to have a safe and effective towing experience.

TJ

The word content comes to mind. many RVers are content with something quite small, while others keep buying bigger. 1/2 ton truck now days is cumbersome in parking lots. If you think big is better maybe consider 1.5 ton truck so size of RV is not an issue. If on the other hand you want a trip sized RV, then consider 1/2 ton. no matter consider that parking lots are not your friend. 1/2 ton is just as hard to park with as 3/4 ton. When hauling a TT mileage is not great in any vehicle. But when not towing you can see the difference the size makes.

If I had a 3/4 ton truck I would likely have a slightly bigger trailer however because I have 1/2 ton truck I am content with the trailer I have, and don't need more. I was hauling before I bought the truck I have a 1/2ton. Maybe to keep contentment at bay, who knows.

I agree with TJ&LadyDi, a 3/4 ton truck will open up a lot more options for Travel Trailers while adding a margin of safety.
There are 1/2 ton trailers out there, just be careful picking one to match your tow vehicles capacities.
Good luck and happy glamping

Latest resources

Back