RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4344
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I installed a new Kenwood DDR 9907 XR head unit in the dash of our 2011 Newmar Mountain Aire. It worked perfectly for several weeks. I left the coach and somehow (not sure) I either did not disconnect the batteries or something else I came back a week later and the coach batteries were drained. I now have them connected to shore power and they are recharged- HOWEVER- my radio will not turn on.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I have taken so far-
I pulled the radio and checked the fuse on the back of the unit- OK
I found the fuse in the power bay for the CB/Radio (7.5 Amp) and it is good
I checked the wiring to the radio- solid
Yesterday, I did something I should have done before and tried to turn on the CB- CB won't work either

Additional thoughts-
I need to take a meter over there today and see if power is getting to the harness
Is there another fuse?

I appreciate any help

I called Kenwood and they just said test the radio by connecting directly to battery-

I had issues with my Pioneer locking up and I'd have to pull it and pull the molex plug out the back to power cycle it. Newmar doesn't use an ignition cutoff like cars because it can be used like a house radio. I installed my own rocker switch so I can turn the dash off as desired or if I had to power cycle it without ever having to pull the unit out. At times SiriusXM needs a reboot as the tuner won't find stations, this helps for that too.

I did also pull the plug from the back of the radio multiple times...

I think the voltmeter is going to be your next step as you mentioned. I'm not aware of any other fuses. Does it make any difference if coach engine is running or not?

A voltage pen is dang near a must have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3R74QQ/?tag=rvf01-20

Voltage pen is for AC voltage only? Radio powered by 12VDC

I did also pull the plug from the back of the radio multiple times...
Use a multimeter/voltmeter/VOM to check for power at the cable unplugged from the back of the radio and work your way back. I'm guessing that you'll find a bad fuse in a location you were unaware of.

TJ

Use a multimeter/voltmeter/VOM to check for power at the cable unplugged from the back of the radio and work your way back. I'm guessing that you'll find a bad fuse in a location you were unaware of.

TJ
I agree- It has to be a fuse- I am going to call Newmar tomorrow and see if I can get a schematic of the electrical system online.

I found it- in the electrical bay there are 2 fuse panels and each of them has a 7.5 Amp fuse. One labeled CB/Radio and the other labeled Radio/Clock. The second one was blown.

Latest resources

Back