Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
4Runner
Fulltimer
Yes
Hello fellow RV'rs. I got connected to this forum through another member. I've used "the other" forum on and off over the years and as I transition from an occasional weekend / vacation RVr to a full-timer, I'm sure I'll be using the forums more to ask questions, answer what I can, and share experiences. I'll be picking up a new (to us) 2019 Dutch Star 4369 in a few weeks and selling our 2005 Sportscoach Cross Country. This winter we (my wife, dog, and I) will be wintered in Florida, and plan to spend 2021 spring/summer going through the Rockies up to Glacier National Park as the snow melts and passes open.

Welcome. You obviously are starting your FT adventure in a really nice rig. We did 3 years of full timing recently in the 4369 floor plan and it was perfect for us.

My first suggestion as a full timer is to get a TPMS set up and apply for the TSD fuel card. The savings on diesel hasn't been as significant with the fleet card this year but just this week I saved over $30.00 on diesel so it is still worth it.

Welcome. You obviously are starting your FT adventure in a really nice rig. We did 3 years of full timing recently in the 4369 floor plan and it was perfect for us.

My first suggestion as a full timer is to get a TPMS set up and apply for the TSD fuel card. The savings on diesel hasn't been as significant with the fleet card this year but just this week I saved over $30.00 on diesel so it is still worth it.
Thanks for the TSD tip. The rig I'm buying has been nicely outfitted with just about everything I can think of including TPMS by it's current owner and I'm thankful. I'm tired of fighting to check the inner tire pressure on my existing RV. Hardest part about this transition has actually been finding a reputable RV park for this winter in FL. We should have started that search and reservation process a year ago apparently, not last month. We found a new park with "phase 2" opening in October that wasn't booked yet and will make that work, but any advice from others on good places to consider for winter reservations in the future would be appreciated. We will be outside of Gainesville, which is still a little north for my liking but we will make it work for this winter.

I'll just throw this story out there to ya Tim, it may be something that will work and it may not.

We had been wintering down in the Ft Myers area for about 3 years (Upriver RV Resort). It was costing us around $1,100 to $1,200 a month between November and April.

On a motorcycle ride we found another place called Rainbow RV Resort up in Frostproof. It was a nicer resort with nicer facilities. That was two years ago. We leased a premium back in site and the first year it was $287 a month, which you pay 12 months. Compared to the $5,500 to $6,600 per winter we were paying down in Ft Myers, paying $3,444 for a full year in Frostproof was a real bargain. The second year our lease went to $307 per month which is still only $3684 a year.

The premium sites come with a 10'x10' shed which you can store a golf cart in or anything else you want. Since the site is yours 12 months out of the year no one else is ever camped on it. You can stay on it 12 months or one day, they don't care, come and go as you please.

I'm not sure how many premium sites they could have available that are not taken but it might be worth a call to find out. We really like the resort plus we feel like finally we are not getting hammered for camping in Florida for the winter.

Good luck Tim.

I'll just throw this story out there to ya Tim, it may be something that will work and it may not.

We had been wintering down in the Ft Myers area for about 3 years (Upriver RV Resort). It was costing us around $1,100 to $1,200 a month between November and April.

On a motorcycle ride we found another place called Rainbow RV Resort up in Frostproof. It was a nicer resort with nicer facilities. That was two years ago. We leased a premium back in site and the first year it was $287 a month, which you pay 12 months. Compared to the $5,500 to $6,600 per winter we were paying down in Ft Myers, paying $3,444 for a full year in Frostproof was a real bargain. The second year our lease went to $307 per month which is still only $3684 a year.

The premium sites come with a 10'x10' shed which you can store a golf cart in or anything else you want. Since the site is yours 12 months out of the year no one else is ever camped on it. You can stay on it 12 months or one day, they don't care, come and go as you please.

I'm not sure how many premium sites they could have available that are not taken but it might be worth a call to find out. We really like the resort plus we feel like finally we are not getting hammered for camping in Florida for the winter.

Good luck Tim.
At quick glance I see that the resort is a Sun Communities property. I used their global calendar to search for facilities with sites when I was on the hunt and this location didn't appear on the "available sites" list. The place we found is Keystone Heights RV Resort in Keystone Heights. We went with the 1 year option so we can have a shed and add a gazebo if we want to, and I think it was about $6600 + elec for the year. Barely any price difference from the 6 month to the 12 month rate, but we get the extra flexibility on the site. We will see how it goes. Longer term our plan is to spend Dec - April on a sailboat in the Caribbean, but I need to find the right catamaran first, and get past this whole Covid thing.

Welcome from Georgia!

Yep, this could very well be another "limited" activity year due to covid.

Let's hope not. I didn't retire to be stuck inside my RV 24x7 in isolation. If you were full time in 2020, what happened to your RV Park? I had heard that some "campgrounds" were forced to close, kicking people out. I don't know if that happened in FL or not, but it did occur in NC where I'm currently at. I'd hate to find myself relegated to a parking lot somewhere because a talking head thinks that people in RV's always have somewhere else to go...

Welcome @tims5842 ...glad to see you make your online presence here. Look forward to meeting you in person and showing off your new 2019 DSDP RedBaron edition 4369.

Btw...I am including the kitchen sink, but *NOT* my tsd fuel card. You should definitely apply for one. It makes fueling simple even if you don't use the discounted stations. Our travels in Montana include fuel stops that are not discounted, but accept the card to avoid the walk of shame inside.

Latest resources

Back