• Friendliest RV community on the web

AmyB

RVF Regular
RV Make
Looking to purchase a used, small (35') Class A Diesel
Fulltimer
No
Hi everyone,
My husband is retiring this summer and we've been researching and looking at RVs for the past year and are looking to buy a used Class A Diesel that is around 34' to 36'. We also plan to have a tow car. We are not going full time but plan to take several extended trips per year. We have looked at many brands and basically narrowed it down to Winnebago Forza 34T and Tiffin Allegro Red 33A. He likes the Forza but I like the Allegro Red floorplan better. He wants to buy a used RV that is no older than 2020, so our budget limits us with Tiffin in that regard since we would likely need to look at one no newer than a 2018 (unless we found a good deal on a 2019). Which I don't see a problem with, based on Tiffin's reputation. He thinks a 2020 Forza is the way to go but I'm not convinced. Hoping to find some input on this site from other Winnebago and/or Tiffin owners as we continue to debate this :)

I personally would not buy any RV made in 2020 thru Today. The 2020 RVs were at the beginning of COVID and RV sales took off a bunch of new employees was hired and production increased and decrease in quality control. I can't comment on the ones you looking at and I'm a Newmar fan and fan of hung walls and confront drive.

Of the two that you listed, I would (personally) lean toward the Tiffin. I've had one in the past and found it to be an enjoyable coach.

That being said, I'm a fan of the Newmar for several reasons, one of the big ones being the above mentioned, "Comfort Drive". :)

BTW, welcome to the forum!

I personally would not buy any RV made in 2020 thru Today. The 2020 RVs were at the beginning of COVID and RV sales took off a bunch of new employees was hired and production increased and decrease in quality control. I can't comment on the ones you looking at and I'm a Newmar fan and fan of hung walls and confront drive.
Thanks Gizmo. I have read the same thing about purchasing from 2020. Newmar was actually on my list as well, but I was thinking the pricing may not be in our budget. Need to stay under 200k all in, but it looks like there are some 2018 Ventana LEs on RV Trader if I can get my husband to agree that a 2018 is not too "old" to buy. I saw where Newmar has the front engine diesel and comfort drive. Is it still a quiet ride with the engine being up front?

Debates between husband and wife are REAL and I feel for you. My hubby did all our research so I was following his lead. We purchased a 2019 Forest River Berkshire diesel pusher for $165,000 from a private owner and are very pleased. I can't imagine any front engine model being quiet. Welcome to the RV world!

When looking at 6.7 ISB powered coaches, I would concentrate on coaches with the 360/800 and Allison 3000, especially if your are going to tow. It takes enough finesse as it is to get reasonable performance out of 360hp ISB, and towing weight is more limited with the 2500 trans. I wouldn’t want any less. Also do the power to weight ration calcs as a basis for comparison. Kinda takes the fun out of shopping aesthetics, floor plans, paint schemes etc, but the chassis is the foundation for the whole thing.

Also I get wanting something newer, but another consideration is emissions. The systems became more complex and problematic for chassis built in 2016 and later, so for the most part coaches 2017 and later. Mine is a 2016 with 2015 emissions. I bought it in 2020 with 17,000 miles on it in nearly new condition. And for less than half what I was prepared to spend. I waited almost a year for the right coach to come up for sale, but it was worth the wait. Something to think about - as a criteria, the year alone is just a number.

Good point.

Latest resources

Back