Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mkott

RVF Regular
Hello, this is Matt, and this is my first post. We just bought our first Class A after selling a travel trailer several years ago. So now trying to decide to flat toe or use a dolly. I’ve read several articles on the pros and cons of both but would love to hear from some of you that have done both. Any thoughts / recommendations??

I would go flat tow only because once it’s set up and dialed in it works well. You don’t even know it’s back here. It seems like the people who are using a dolly have a toad that can’t be towed like a mini copper as an example. Some parks don’t allow dollys stored at your site making it a hassle. It’s not common but something else to deal with. Just my 2cts from what I have observed.

Thanks. Also should mention that we bought a lightly used 30’ V10 Winnebago Vista 29VE with 5,000 towing capacity.

Welcome, Matt. Glad to have you here with us.

I have always flat-towed because I didn't want to have to deal with the dolly when parked. Even where they are allowed in a park, they take up significant space and are not all that easy to move around by hand.

Now, if you have a vehicle you want to tow that is not suited for flat-tow, then you don't have a lot of choice.

Good luck.

TJ

Welcome @Mkott - great to have you with us.

Welcome! Personally would go with a vehicle that can be flat towed...once your vehicle is set up, it takes just minutes to hook up/unhook.

Hello, this is Matt, and this is my first post. We just bought our first Class A after selling a travel trailer several years ago. So now trying to decide to flat toe or use a dolly. I’ve read several articles on the pros and cons of both but would love to hear from some of you that have done both. Any thoughts / recommendations??
Greetings! My wife & I have towed a Honda Accord for 3 years full-time and now it's torn up. Always recommend flat tow as the best option. I figured since the Honda was paid for, a tow dolly was cheap. Did not realize how the Honda would be damaged from blowouts on the tow dolly. Good luck on your new adventure!

Greetings..
I agree with the rest to flat tow, however check your vehicle to see if you can. We are using a dolly just because the vehicle we have cannot be flat towed. I also considered putting the car on a trailer but then though about storing it when I got were I wanted to go.

The dolly we have works fine. We went with a new one that had Hyd brakes. I don't even know it is behind me.

Greetings..
I agree with the rest to flat tow, however check your vehicle to see if you can. We are using a dolly just because the vehicle we have cannot be flat towed. I also considered putting the car on a trailer but then though about storing it when I got were I wanted to go.

The dolly we have works fine. We went with a new one that had Hyd brakes. I don't even know it is behind me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back