• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JohnTV

RVF Newbee
Hello RV Group,

My wife and I currently own a Midwest Automotive Designs Weekender. I have been mulling over the purchase of a new Newmar New Aire. My question is: With all the Changes in Washington related to energy, would making an investment now in a large diesel pusher make sense? I’m 100% good with the New Aire otherwise.

Many thanks for the insight.

Travel Safe,

John H.
Temecula, CA

Welcome to RVF, @JohnTV; glad to have you join us here.

While it is true that carmakers are moving toward electric vehicles, that's not likely to occur in a large scale for 5-10 years. And, diesel trucks, RVs, etc. are even further down the road. So, your alternative is to wait 10, 15 or even 20 years for an electric Class A RV, or to buy a DP now and enjoy it for the next 10, 15 or 20 years.

Let's be clear on one thing here; no motorhome qualifies as an "investment!" They are money pits just like boats, airplanes, etc. They "depreciate" rather than "appreciate," need periodic maintenance and consume a fair amount of fuel. Nothing there suggests that you will ever "make money" owning a motorhome...or, any RV. :ROFLMAO:

They can, however, be viewed as "expense alternatives." You can stay at luxury hotels around the country for a couple hundred bucks a night (at least) and eat fancy restaurant meals at a much higher cost than cooking them yourself. Or, you can move your own "luxury hotel room" around the country and pay 25-50% of the price of a hotel room for RV park fees. And, you can cook your own meals for a fraction of the cost of eating in restaurants.

We prefer the latter approach as it provides significantly more comfort and flexibility. We can go where we want, when we want and eat great food at modest prices without tipping the waiter for bringing it to us. Oh, and we don't have to keep hauling luggage in and out of hotels, or paying someone to do so. ;)

Just our $0.02 worth.

TJ

Last edited:
Welcome to RVF, @JohnTV; glad to have you join us here.

While it is true that carmakers are moving toward electric vehicles, that's not likely to occur in a large scale for 5-10 years. And, diesel trucks, RVs, etc. are even further down the road. So, your alternative is to wait 10, 15 or even 20 years for an electric Class A RV, or to buy a DP now and enjoy it for the next 10, 15 or 20 years.

Let's be clear on one thing here; no motorhome qualifies as an "investment!" They are money pits just like boats, airplanes, etc. They "depreciate" rather than "appreciate," need periodic maintenance and consume a fair amount of fuel. Nothing there suggests that you will ever "make money" owning a motorhome...or, any RV.

They can, however, be viewed as "expense alternatives." You can stay at luxury hotels around the country for a couple hundred bucks a night (at least) and eat fancy restaurant meals at a much higher cost than cooking them yourself. Or, you can move your own "luxury hotel room" around the country and pay 25-50% of the price of a hotel room for RV park fees. And, you can cook your own meals for a fraction of the cost of eating in restaurants.

We prefer the latter approach as it provides significantly more comfort and flexibility. We can go where we want, when we want and eat great food at modest prices without tipping the waiter for bringing it to us. Oh, and we don't have to keep hauling luggage in and out of hotels, or paying someone to do so. ;)

Just our $0.02 worth.

TJ
TJ,
Thank you very much for your insightful view around my question. We do like our current Sprinter Diesel RV. But after taking a 5,000 mile road trip last July from San Diego to Michigan, NC. _Nashville and other stops along the way. We realized having a larger rig would be more comfortable.

All the best.
John

TJ,
Thank you very much for your insightful view around my question. We do like our current Sprinter Diesel RV. But after taking a 5,000 mile road trip last July from San Diego to Michigan, NC. _Nashville and other stops along the way. We realized having a larger rig would be more comfortable.

All the best.
John
John, we made the same decision several years back. We had a Sprinter Class C (Forest River Solera) and liked it for short trips/stays. As our trips got longer, however, we found it to be a bit confining. Moving to a DP coach was the answer and has provided us with the space and conveniences we wanted/needed.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

TJ

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! New Aires are great but if you haven't look at the Ventana 34xx models.

Safe Travels.

Welcome from Georgia!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back