Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

New member says hi and I have some questions!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tioga Bob

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Tioga Ranger
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Jeep JKUR Wrangler
I have a 2008 Tioga Ranger 26Q E450 V10 gas that wandered so bad almost sold it but spent lots of time, money and effort and she is now steady on the road. The real issue now is I have sold my tow vehicle, a 4300 lb Jeep and now have a built up JKUR that is a hefty 6400 lb! I towed it on a short camping trip and It tows fine but I know the total gross weight and the towing capacity of the RV and hitch is probably exceeded:(

My project at this time is beefing up the rear frame of the coach and installing a stronger hitch. I will post up questions and hope to confirm that I can flat 4 tow this weighty Jeep with my class C.

In advance thanks for your interest and comments I appreciate it.

Tioga Bob

On a local camping trip towed the new Jeep and all went well but...
20201007_105633-M.jpg

Welcome to RVF, @Tioga Bob; glad to have you join us here.

I don't know the specifics of the GVWR and GCVWR for the 2008 Tioga, but do understand that the hitch rating is only part of the equation. Another important consideration is braking capacity of the coach. Weight is an important part of that as well, as in overall handling. And, transmission capacity in the coach also enters into the picture. Be sure you have a full understanding of what is involved in exceeding the manufacturer's ratings.

TJ

Thank you TJ&LadyDi for the response.

I definitely agree and I am a safety advocate too. I am in the midst of researching towing a 6400 lb Jeep behind my Class C. I know it is done but you are right there are limitations that need to be considered. At this point I am hoping to get the confirming information that I can tow this Jeep in-spit of the limitations mentioned. I already have towed this Jeep and had no trouble, even in the mountains. My seat of the pants opinion is the RV is very capable and is not straining the engine or drive train. Based on experience braking is the least of my issues.

The opinion of some on the net is the real limitation of E450 Class C towing is the rear frame structure and hitch. That is what I'm focusing on at the moment.

One thing I have noted, lots of comments about the limitations of brakes, suspension, tires, transmission, engines but it is mostly a vague warning from those without detailed experience or actual data. Some suggest the gross weight listed on the rigs are lower limits written by lawyers rather than engineers.

I am hoping that someone with experience beefing up an Class C RV tail end and hitch will post up some information. I did call a local shop here in Reno that is into fabrication and setting up tow vehicles. So next week will head on down, get the RV weighed and let the shop pros inspect and provide advice.

Tioga Bob

My first thought when reading was 2 concerns, braking capabilities and transmission of your RV. Will the transmission be able to handle the extra weight and maintain reliability? Do your research and remember that just because it seems like it can handle it doesn’t mean you should. Lots of extra wear and tear

Do yah want the Pie after Tom stuck his dirty thumb in it?

You can do almost anything if you have the facilities to do it. No one will pay you for your investment in the RV after you are through modifying it. I hauled a catalina 30 sailboat behind a 1 ton dodge van a couple of times, so yah you can do it. Will you have an engineer re-cert the rig so you can legally haul more than it was built for? Will you give up the added weight in steel from gear you would haul normally?

Yes the frame joint where they added to the truck frame to support a longer load is a weak point. I have known a few that tried hauling a MC on the bumper that had the frame break on class A's of the 90' era.

My opinion... You can drive the Jeep across country for less than you can beef up the RV and mess with Certs at the Gov level. But then You know what they say about Opinions.

Well said and my wife agrees with you and and already told me that she would drive the Jeep.

Just saying I'm generally not someone that would overload or stress a machine. Your points are shared by placards on the RV... but those placards posting max weights don't specify what is the limiting factor thus the transmission and engine is a speculation. I'll argue my point here, not to be argumentative but in the hopes of finding actual data to confirm this should not be done or can be done.

I may be wrong and since I am just starting the research on this "beefing up the tail of the RV" I have posted here asking those with more knowledge. That said if you have experience or real data that the transmission or the engine can't handle 6400 lbs on a flat 4 tow please provide it. Excuse my statements if they appear arrogant I'm actually trying to get firm data not hearsay or speculation. I don't have the data but have read a pickup with this engine has a greater towing capacity by a lot than what the placard permits on this RV. A truck mechanic told me that trucks having the same engine/transmission as this RV haul much more weight it's the chassie that makes that possible.

Here is a company that fabricates the beefed up Class C RV. Torklift Central | Services

I haven't called them yet but their Utube video got me started on this idea. Hopefully I haven't come off wrong and others that have advice with some experience, examples and data will post up as I haven't done a thing yet and if get concrete reason can abandon this venture.

Last edited:
Not to be argumentative, @Tioga Bob, but you already have the "real data." The coach manufacturer spent a ton of money on engineering to determine the coach tow ratings.

I doubt that you will ever find definitive information on just one single factor like transmission capability, etc. All factors work together; there won't be a single factor. And comparing the towing capacity of a pickup with the same engine to your coach overlooks the fact that your coach likely weighs significantly more than the pickup.

Rest assured that coach manufacturers would love to have higher tow ratings as it would give them a marketing advantage over the competition. Science-based engineering just can't support it.

TJ

I haven't called them yet but their Utube video got me started on this idea. Hopefully I haven't come off wrong and others that have advice with some experience, examples and data will post up as I haven't done a thing yet and if get concrete reason can abandon this venture.
Not at all @Tioga Bob , we learn by asking. Just remember that it is about more than capacity. Consider that the body on a motor home is nothing like on a real truck. Frame twist and flex can adversely affect The RV body. Some truck bodies offer more strength than an RV box will. I can imagine panels popping loose as you go down the road. The van I used above had much lower tow capacity than a truck similarly built. The reason, uni-body. I built up the back end to accommodate a penal hook using 1/2 inch plate steel that ran up the frame for good purchase with no bumper. Like I said, of course you can. What I didn't tell you was after I relocated the boat I sold the van for 500 dollars because the cooling system was not up to the job and overheated seriously. The trans was OK it was the weak 3 speed/ overdrive common on dodge products in 91' I would have thought the trans was going to be the problem, but the cooling system is what gave up the ghost causing serious engine problems after the fact.

Although I like to say the trans is the weak link, The number of vehicles along the side of the road on hills probably indicate that the cooling system is not up to par.

I have done many things that left the rest of the world wondering about my sanity, but alas I am still alive after retiring over 15 years ago.

Since you have an E450 and not an E350 I think you should be OK as long as you look at the hitch and frame connections to make sure they are up to par. The 450 is about 16,000 GVW and has a larger engine, transmission, frame axels, and brakes than the 350 does. We use F450's to make wreckers out of every day. I sold about 1000 of them a year from 2003 to 2008 before I went to selling Ram Trucks. They are towing one car or truck at a time with a wheel lift OR the are towing 2 cars at a time as a roll back bed with a wheel lift. The brakes are capable. The V-10 engine is capable. The transmission is fine. You're not going to hurt them. Just make sure you reinforce the frame and hitch area if needed.

FYI the Max Towing on a Ram 4500 (same as the Ford F450 or E450) with 120" CA is 18.500 lbs. (CA is the measurement from the back of the cab to the centerline of the rear axle. This measurement determines the length of the body you can install. In a class 4 vehicle a 120" CA is about the longest frame available. It will support a 16' to a 19' body depending on the body type.) I'm sure the Ford E450 or F450 is about the same. They are all Class 4 commercial vehicles. The tow ratings include the frame, axles, engine, transmission, brakes, tires, and hitch. The weakest link determines the GVW or GCVW and the Max Tow Rating. The 450 shares many of the same components with the 550. Same engine, same trans, same frame rail, etc. But the front axle may be smaller or the brakes may be slightly smaller. If the axles are different then the tires would also be heavier on the 550 more than likely. Regardless, the 450 you have is a commercial chassis. It could have a wrecker body on it or a dry freight van body, or an enclosed service body or a camper body! It doesn't matter. The chassis is the same. The RV has the same drive train and suspensions as the other trucks or vans with other bodies on them. The chassis doesn't care what it is. Weight it weight. Whether it is furniture and cabinets or tools and equipment. Its all the same to the chassis. Your E450 will do a ton of work. Just make sure the end of the frame and the hitch are up to spec.

One other thing when flat towing. Make sure you use an auxillary brake system for your Jeep. If the hitch fails or if the Jeep comes off the tow bar you don't want it running wild down the highway at 60-70 MPH and killing someone. I use the Air Force One brake system for my Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 when flat towing. But my Class A has air brakes so you may have to get a different model brake system for your E450 with the hydraulic brakes.

Good luck! And let us know what you wind up with.

Attachments

• IMG_0014 (002).jpg
    IMG_0014 (002).jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Tow Bar1.jpg
    Tow Bar1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Tow Bar2.jpg
    Tow Bar2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Edit: Just notices "EZ's" post... Excellent fact oriented comments, Thank you BTW I have the RVi3 brake system, blue ox tow bar and all the safety cables and a very beefed up attachment on the Jeep.

"EZ" has come up with the goods but will let this previously posted comment ride.

Appreciate your replies but we are still in the realm of speculation. If you google Class C RV towing a JKU Jeep there are a number of videos showing this is done with no fuss. They maybe oblivious to the limitations and just doing it but they are doing it.

I see Class C RV's towing Jeeps and the heavier JKU Rubicons all the time. Remember towing with 4 wheels on the ground is not stressing the tow vehicle like an equally weighted trailer or boat.

We got a good deal on this RV and have used it to tour Alaska, the American west and southwest. We have got our moneys worth. We would only use this RV towing the Jeep maybe 3 times a year to drive to Moab or some place in the west. Park and use the Jeep on trails and the tow home. So you could say this will be use in a limited way. As to recovering cost with modifying the RV vs buying a new RV, it is a no brainer, a new RV would be much more expressive than this modification.

Again I really appreciate your engaging comments and not trying to be argumentative but trying to get down past the speculation and to the facts of beefing up the tail end and towing this 6400 lb Jeep with reasonable safety and being competent with the real limits of the RV. So far the jury's still out.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back