Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RTravel

RVF Newbee
Hey everyone! Hoping to finally get a truck and camper this coming summer. Thinking 5th wheel with a diesel 2500-3500 depending on the brand I choose.

I will be picking folks' brains about trucks and also about possibly remodeling an older camper.

Welcome aboard! Depending on fifth wheel size and pin weight and where you may travel most, diesels aren’t needed always. The cost of owning one you may never get caught back to break even. I am not bashing diesel…..they have their definite place.

Welcome aboard! Depending on fifth wheel size and pin weight and where you may travel most, diesels aren’t needed always. The cost of owning one you may never get caught back to break even. I am not bashing diesel…..they have their definite place.
To Diesel or not....million dollar question, I am trying to answer. We plan to travel West and East from Iowa so lots of mountains/hills either way. For our first 5th wheel we will not be going BIG. Probably in the 30-35' range? Not decided yet but I don't want to learn to towing a 45' 3 axle camper! Would be great to hear from folks here what the 3-5 best things about diesel and gas are. From what I have found out diesel offers the confidence of getting up "the hill". Also, the exhaust brake option sounds amazing. I plan to drive this truck for many many years which is another benefit of a diesel. The resale value is also better especially if I have it for a good ten years or more. Will be interesting what the truck market is like in 10 years with electric trucks making noise. Maybe a diesel won't be worth as much? I know it will be years from now but won't be surprised if some Western states (California) won't allow ICE trucks. That's a topic for another thread.

You may need the diesel if you travel often and across grades constantly like the Rockies. I am east coast and even though I go through NC/TN/VA mountains to get to destinations, the fairly new 7.3 gasser with the old pushrod style technology Ford came back with has the low end grunt I need without the added $10k to just add diesel to the build. I couldn’t justify that cost when I don’t climb routinely thousands of feet with my RV constantly. Plus I have friends that need them for their equipment and know once it is out of warranty the cost to maintain in parts alone then paying a good diesel mechanic you second mortgage the house….lol, but they have grading businesses and the cost like you know is passed along to the customer.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

I have been over the passes in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado Idaho, Washington. All with a gasser motorcoach.

The joy of pulling a trailer comes with the planning of day trips to the attractions. No more dangerous passes pulling a big rig that might require, or appreciated engine brakes. No more holding on to the seat. Just a fun traverse in the scene of the moment.

Your planning! why not complete the task before you leap???

Latest resources

Back