Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RCIII

RVF Newbee
Hello all. We’re trading in our 2014 Keystone Cougar 21RSB for a 2023 Coachman Freedom Express Ultra Lite 274RKS. We pick it up Thursday and can’t wait to take it out. Plan on taking it up to Steamboat, CO at the end of the month for some “leaf peeping”.
My biggest concern is the 12-volt refrigerator. The Coachman does have a solar panel. All of my past campers were gas/electric and we do camp a lot where we don’t have electric hook up. I installed (2) 6-volt batteries in my Cougar which worked well and was wondering if I should do the same or install a lithium battery. I do have a generator that I occasionally take but it’s heavy and a pain. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Congrats!

So many people like shade. I like it too, however I have a friend that went to town to enjoy a nice dinner returning to the result of a micro burst! Or put another way, she was lucky she was in town when that tree branch totaled her RV!

Of course that doesn't answer anything, but may help in convincing you to add an additional panel, to keep up with the fridge demand. And like me, stay out of harms way!

Concerning lithium? I have a garbage 48v rack mount lithium I am putting in the suppliers hands once again when I go south. My recommended batteries are called Northstar blue+ !!! I considered them the absolute premium battery!

Yeah, shade is good. It’s definitely a concern and don’t understand why the RV industry is going away from gas/electric refrigerators. They’ve always been very reliable for me.

My guess is three fold!

2 or 3 way RV fridges are more costly than their counterparts. .

Compressor fridges will keep ice cream in warm weather.

Pose considerably less fire hazard!

If I can find a nice juniper to park next to I'm great with that. My preference is a nice open spot next to a meadow. I don't park under trees! My panels cover half my RV 6 inches above the roof so they are my shade!

For years the spots I seek were considered undesirable, however as more people see the advantage of solar, these open space spots are now considered the premium spots!
Go figure!!!

Latest resources

Back